What species is this?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

Reaction score
A dear friend found the ooth attached to the antenna of his UTT and sent it to me for fun. He lives 5000km south from me so I am totally at a loss of which species it might be. Friends from down under and anyone who have an inkling, please help with the ID. THANKS LOADS!!

mantid_case_terrarium_closeup.jpg

mantid_baby1.jpg

mantid_baby2.jpg

mantid_baby3.jpg

mantid_baby4.jpg

mantid_baby5.jpg

mantid_baby6.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to add that I am from Singapore and is also looking for adoptive parents for the nymphs. If anyone local or in Malaysia have access to pinhead crickets or fruit fly cultures, please pm me. Thanks a million! ^_^

I think it's an ant mantis nymph of some sort. (Odontomantis sp.) Should be relatively common in Singapore or around that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ooth looks a lot like an Egyptian (miomantis paykulli). But if those are newly hatched nymphs, then they are definately not Egyptian. Sorry I can't be more help!

P.S. SUPER CUTE pictures, by the way. ;)

Not sure if this is much help, but if you cant get ahold of some FF Cultures, I'd smach up some banana and put it in a soda bottle or something of the sort, and make a paper funnel to stick in the hole so wild FF can get easy access in, but would be slightly harder to get out, you should be able to get a good amount of small insects in there for the nymphs to eat.

Thanks, everyone! The pics are of the nymphs which are about 1/3" long when they hatched.

p.s. Hi, Yen. Not sure if you still remember me. Regards! ^_^

Looks like Orthodera sp.

5000 km south of Singapore, i would guess Australia or New Zealand?
Yes, we need to know the country!

If N.Z., Orthodera navaezealandiae

If oz, I have a friend who can probably I.D. it, though it would be good to know where abouts in oz it was found.

If anywhere else, good luck!

From oz, southwest. Could be Perth, all the way down to Albany. My friend has got no idea 'cos he was travelling and the mother laid the egg case when he parked somewhere. :lol:

From oz, southwest. Could be Perth, all the way down to Albany. My friend has got no idea 'cos he was travelling and the mother laid the egg case when he parked somewhere. :lol:
Well, I linked my "dear friend" to your pix, but those nymphs are a bit young for an ID lower than genus. We'll see!

p.s. Hi, Yen. Not sure if you still remember me. Regards! ^_^
Sorry Cindy I can't remember with my poor memory :sweatdrop:

There are quite a few species of Orthodera from Australia (assuming it is one of the Orthodera spp.)

- Orthodera australiana

- Orthodera burmeisteri

- Orthodera gracilis

- Orthodera gunnii

- Orthodera ministralis

- Orthodera rubrocoxata

The nymphs on the picture is first instar? It is too early to identify the species based on the that nymph stage. Phil's 'dear friend' would be able to help if you provide the adult specimen.

I have recently sent couple of wingless fruit fly cultures to a friend in KL, please email me so I can send you his contact. You could also try to find fruit fly culture in the Sing U. There must be some biology labs there and you might just be able to get the culture quicker that way.

I finally caught up with my Sidney friend in the midst of packing countless pressies for her BF! She says that it is way too young to tell, though it does look like Orthodera (well, we knew that!). She also said she has little experience with mantids of Western Australia. Meanwhile, back at square one! :D

Latest posts