What species of Black Berry does not go through dormancy?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
Just curious, I've always been curious what bramble people in the UK use for their insects such as Katydids and sticks year round?

Also, I have a friend who lives in Florida who told me he has black berry bushes in his yard 12 months out of the year... I'm assuming some species of bramble do not go through dormancy?

Just curious, I've always been curious what bramble people in the UK use for their insects such as Katydids and sticks year round?

Also, I have a friend who lives in Florida who told me he has black berry bushes in his yard 12 months out of the year... I'm assuming some species of bramble do not go through dormancy?
Yea mine never go through dormancy, and I have a neighbor who grows it year round as well...unless you were talking about me haha.

Yea mine never go through dormancy, and I have a neighbor who grows it year round as well...unless you were talking about me haha.
hahaha word up Danny boyyy lol.. im gunna need to buy some from u soon! lol

I think it just depends on the area that you live in. If you are needing to grow it indoors, year-round, you'll probably have to get a light setup with a full-spectrum (sunlight) bulb & keep it in a warm, draft-free area. (Light more important than draft-free.) I imagine that's what those crazy English folk do for their bugs! :p

-Carey Kurtz-

p.s. Just so you know, it should cost you no more than maybe $10 for a shop light & $10 per bulb on the full-spectrum bulbs...so, maybe $30 total?

The variant is also important in northern climates. However, you can get a semi-clear plastic storage box and throw it over most bramble or rose and put a big rock on top and the leaves will stay green all winter anywhere in the northern US. The rock is so that on a windy day the box doesn't blow off.

They typically refer to Rubus fruticosus in the UK as "bramble" for phasmids.

Many of us in the US use Rubus discolor (Himalayan blackberry). With this species there is a dying back of old leaves as the margins brown in the late winter and early spring. Pale and soft new growth appears in the spring. It can be very difficult to find adequate leaves during this transitional stage.

It isn't really feasible to grow bramble indoors, especially in amounts necessary to sustain a population of phasmids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can a person keep an eucalyptus plant a live indoors?

So... what do all of you phasmid keepers do during the winter?

Blackberry is awesome during the warm seasons for my friend here in NJ.

MY friends very curious what Maclaey spectre, Phyillum Giganteum and Jungle nymphs are able to eat during the winter time?

What plants are grown indoors that do NOT need actual sun light touching them that the above three species are able to eat from L1 to adult? Any species of Privet, Fern,... anything indoors that will grow 12 months out of the year....?

Last edited by a moderator:
The variant is also important in northern climates. However, you can get a semi-clear plastic storage box and throw it over most bramble or rose and put a big rock on top and the leaves will stay green all winter anywhere in the northern US. The rock is so that on a windy day the box doesn't blow off.
With plastic blocking the rays, how does the bramble continue to be OK? I thought bramble needs sun light?

Semi clear (translucent) plastic storage or "under the bed" boxes let the light through; they just diffuse it. You can find them almost anwhere, including Walgreen's, Walmart and Michael's. They are great for keeping cockroaches in!

Free info is great, but it comes in dribs and drabs. Get it all at once in Orin's and Peter's Ghosts of the Trees. It's published by the same company that puts out the Invertebrates Magazine that you get quartely, but its probably most easily bought on Peter's BugsinCyberspace.

I think all Blackberry's are dormant this day in age with Android and iPhone taking over :lol:

Latest posts