what stages of instar, go with which size flys

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d17oug18

Reaction score
hey guys i have a californian stagmomantis and im about to have wondering violin mantis' ive been trying to do research, alot of it, but i cant find anything about what flies go with what stages in life, i bought a cultures of D. Melanogaster flies not knowing the sizes and my mantises are at around 4th-5th shed, the flies are way to small, might be good food for the crickets or fish lol. i know there are like 5 sizes of flies but which are good for what size mantis?

hey guys i have a californian stagmomantis and im about to have wondering violin mantis' ive been trying to do research, alot of it, but i cant find anything about what flies go with what stages in life, i bought a cultures of D. Melanogaster flies not knowing the sizes and my mantises are at around 4th-5th shed, the flies are way to small, might be good food for the crickets or fish lol. i know there are like 5 sizes of flies but which are good for what size mantis?
D. Melanogaster flies are for newborns, or L2 nymphs unless they are small mantids then maybe 3rd and 4th instar as well. It is tough to say this fly for this stage, basically feed them what they will take. D. hydei are the larger fly, for L2/L3 and then go to micro or pinhead crickets and gradually increase the cricket size..

Some of the more experienced people on the board can likely tell you what they feed their violins at what stage, and the same for the Stagmomantis.

If your mantids are on L5 or so I would think they should be feeding on crickets, maybe blue or green bottle flies. I would take the approach of putting in a cricket or blue bottle fly, and if they haven't taken it in an hour or three, take it out because it is too big.

My guess would be you will find many people take the approach of adding a larger food, watching if the nymphs take it, and if so start feeding them that. Then trying it again with a different food as the nymphs grow. What I do know is L5+ nymphs for these species should be on crickets for sure, pinheads or likely a little bigger for sure, maybe even blue bottles. I would try 1/8 - 1/4" cricket, watch carefully, and if it isn't taken, remove it and go smaller. Only put 1 cricket in to start and see what happens.

Anyway, this is my understanding from all the reading and research I have done, many others on this board I'm sure will comment to assist who have more experience than me.

Yeah, Wayne seems to have it right. The Biological Principle (!) behind feeding any predator is to give it the largest food that it can readily overcome so as to minimize the amount of energy that it expends on prey capture. The saved energy is used for growth, and in adults, for spermatogenesis and egg laying.

As a matter of personal preference, I feed most of my mantids flying prey. Like you, I don't keep tiny species, so I start with mels, go to hydei as quickly as I can, then flies, which are a staple diet, to bluebottles, which Hibiscusmile is now selling at a resaonable price, through bees. Many people do not like to feed bees because, like you, they live in a CCD state, or because of fear of being stung (I have watched hundreds of bee captures by mantids and have never once seen the bee attempt to sting its attacker but once got stung in the ###### due to my own carelessness! :lol: ). Some serious breeders like Yen Saw and Christian use bees, even in CCD areas because like Yen, they are collecting wild bees or, like Christian, they believe that the number of bees that they collect does not affect the areas distribution.

Generaslly, you will be surprised at how large a prey a mantis can overpower. My S. limbata, at about the same adult size as yr S. californica, could easily overcome a bee, and would usually capture it within seconds of its being introduced into the pot.

Personally, I have never spent any cash on ffs other than mels and hydei. Sliders and gliders might be great, but their slight difference in size does not seem to be significant as a food choice.

There is no set size. If they can hold it in their front legs they can eat it. I've seen plenty of mantids eat stuff half their size.

There is no set size. If they can hold it in their front legs they can eat it. I've seen plenty of mantids eat stuff half their size.
I agree with Rick on this one. I've had a hungry nymph successfully catch a hoverfly (comparable in size) by its butt and get dragged all around its enclosure. Funny to watch but you also have to marvel at its tenacity & strength.

Latest posts