What to do before a mating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I mated my creos i gave her a cricket the size of her abdomen each day and tossed in a BBF for a midnight snack for a full week leading up to mating.

I kept the male out of the aquarium that houses all my mantis enclosures (mostly deli-cups) but still in the same room. when I put them together the first day he crawled near but when I ran off to answer the call of nature they were on opposite sides of breeding box like she mabey struck at him and he fled, so I seperated them and put them together a day or two later. at first he did not seem to notice her (chewing on juicy cricket, she saw him and turned to face him) they were about 6 inches apart and i tried using a chop stick and blowing him towards her. finally I just walked to the living room and glanced over occasionally. this seemed to make them less apprehensive perhapse because within 10 minutes he was mounted on her. I tossed in 2-3 BBF so she could eat something besides him. she moved all over with him in tow. she just laid 2nd ooth yesterday

He will definetly still ahve a chance. Keep him in a different room until the weekend so you can be there ALL day or ALMOST all day. Keep close watch on them

Feed them up until they are plump. 4 crix for the female 1 for the male before mating

Let the male mounted THEN feed her again. Once she eats that one feed her again and so on.

btw I have had problems with live food in the cage. My male was mounted on femal and then the male jumps off and catches a crix. It was upsetting...Always have food in the females raptorial legs. Esspecially with creos, as they are very aggressive.

Wishing you the good luck for your mated pairs. :)

Try again another day & make sure you have crickets ready!

They were both introduced OUTSIDE the enclosures, that way I could interfere quickly if anything went awry...

I noticed that the female was very alert, she would turn her head at the male constantly.

Finally got mine to connect. Yay!! I had to leave them in a net cube overnight together.

DO make sure he is fed. I made the mistake of not feeding the male well the first time, and he attacked the female, which has left ME really twitchy about leaving them together. She was ok but I never did get that particular female mated.

Give it a week and try again, there is no reason to rush things. Some mantids need 4-6 weeks after maturing to adults before they are ready to be mated.

Latest posts