What to do for sick baby ghost mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteacher

Reaction score
Hey all,

I think that my cultures of fruit flies went bad or something 'cause I've got a couple of sick baby ghost mantids. There are 5 and they are living together, still really small my guess is L3ish. I've noticed brown stuff on the glass, almost as if they are throwing up and they seem pretty listless. I've separated them into individual pint-sized mason jars and put some fruit flies in there but one is having a really hard time walking/staying on top. I have to hold the jar at a very slight angle, practically horizontal, or else it falls. 

My question: Can I give them some mashed up banana or something to help them get the energy to fight whatever it is that is wrong with them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
My question: Can I give them some mashed up banana or something to help them get the energy to fight whatever it is that is wrong with them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well!
Standard fare is watered-down honey off a qtip or a new small clean paint brush.

Not only is it sweet and yummy, but also helps combat bacteria.

Problem is they're very tiny at that instar and will likely flee from it when presented.

Thanks for replying :)  I just looked at the instar reference pics for Ghosts and it looks like they may be L4-L5 since they've got the ghost swirl thing on top of their heads. I knew the honey water option but last time I tried that I didn't dilute the honey enough and my poor baby mantis got stuck. So I was hoping banana or something else would work but I can try the honey water if they can't have banana.

Yea, I gave a mantis banana once, but she resumed eating normally. No problems. But I'm by no means an authority on this.

After serving honey, present straight water to wash up the mouth.

I'll try that, hopefully, I'll get the mixture right this time. Don't' want to get another baby stuck to a q-tip :(  Thanks for your suggestions!

I do a dime sized drop of raw honey in a tablespoon or 2 of water. I like to lean to the less honey side so I don't make them sticky. They do typically want clean water afterwards, so I do one end of the Qtip in honey water, the other in plain water so I can easily alternate. 

Ghosts may be a bit skittish about the Qtip in general, but I find mantids who are sick are typically less likely to resist, especially when they feel the moisture on their mandible and smell the honey. 

Honey water can work some miracles for sick mantids, give it a try

Definitely honey-water! That has saved quite a few of my mantids from sickness and injury.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts