What To Do When Your Mantid falls during a molt.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
When you realize that your mantid has fallen during their molt, there are two possible scenarios.

One scenario: The mantid has fallen a long time ago. When the mantid's new skin dries while it's still stuck in the exuvia (shed exoskeleton), there is usually no hope. They will either be dead or if you remove the exuvia, seriously deformed.

Second scenario: The mantid has just fallen during the molt. The skin that so far came out of the exuvia is still fresh. If this is the case, you can use tape or a sticker on the mantid's legs and then stick them to an object (the wall, a shelf, container, etc). Mist the mantid once as it's molting (when out of the container - moisture must be present to ensure a good molt. If too dry, the mantid can get stuck in the skin and either lose limb(s) or die). If you do this, it should be okay. Also, once finished molting, make sure they're able to get up without getting their new skin stuck to the sticker/tape.

Here's a photo of what I did to save an L3 going to an L4. The same thing can be done with L5s, L6s, L7s as well, so long as the tape is strong enough to hold the larger mantid. Multiple pieces of tape can be used, as well - one for each leg.

mantid_molting__stuck_with_sticker_by_alexandersmantids-d627249.jpg

When I found this one that had fallen in his/her container, s/he had only just started to molt, so only the head was fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do be sure you remove the tape so the mantis doesn't get his/her new skin stuck on it!

I only had to use tape once, but even with that mantis I still wound up holding her by her feet while she molted. She was a Violin mantis and couldn't grip anything no matter what. She molted okay though, fortunately.

Do be sure you remove the tape so the mantis doesn't get his/her new skin stuck on it!

I only had to use tape once, but even with that mantis I still wound up holding her by her feet while she molted. She was a Violin mantis and couldn't grip anything no matter what. She molted okay though, fortunately.
Oh yeah, that too, thank you for reminding me to add that.

I had to do the sticker a few times with nymphs. Then this L3. And one adult. The adult ended up having deformed wings but was otherwise fine much to my pleasure. And lol you held her feet with your fingers while she molted, is that what you mean?

Yes - well, I held them pinched against the twig she was on, as well as using some scotch tape. But the tape for some reason wouldn't stay on the twig. It was tedious and nerve wracking, but she survived.

Yes - well, I held them pinched against the twig she was on, as well as using some scotch tape. But the tape for some reason wouldn't stay on the twig. It was tedious and nerve wracking, but she survived.
Cool, glad you were able to save her! :)

Sometimes even when they look really bad they can live just fine.

This is one of my mismolted valida and she hunts and here's her ooth too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes even when they look really bad they can live just fine.

This is one of my mismolted valida and she hunts and here's her ooth too.

Yeah not all mis-molts are deadly, my Stagmomantis limbata had messed up wings but that doesn't decrease the quality of life at all, they're only wings. Plus females don't even fly so. I have a P. paradoxa who started molting when it was too dry, so I quickly provided moisture but not soon enough and she lost a leg. Even losing a leg isn't detrimental though she still jumps and everything.

It's nice to hear successful mis-molt stories. I've only got two, so no problems yet (knock on faux wood); I'm still a nervous wreck if I see them molting, though.

Your R. valida looks like a flower. :D (And wow, she's big!)

It's nice to hear successful mis-molt stories. I've only got two, so no problems yet (knock on faux wood); I'm still a nervous wreck if I see them molting, though.

Your R. valida looks like a flower. :D (And wow, she's big!)
Lol whenever I catch them molting I watch them until their done to be sure it's all good. Sometimes I don't catch it, though. I thank my lucky stars that they don't mis-molt when I can't watch.

my biggest chinese fell yesterday during a molt...whole thing was outta the exoskeleton except for back legs...i taped the exoskeleton up and she got out of it but now her legs are all deformed :( her front right foot keeps getting caught on her head and it's depressing

Latest posts