what to feed a praying mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part 3

and for the Grande Finale

Mantis botched cat attack :lol:

so got a question - are these "foods" good for mantids? I mean I have a million fish around and mice, could I feed as much as I want or only as a treat? I'm getting some P. paradoxa (ghosts) (I know depends on size and all)

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on the size and kind of mantis. Ghost are small and like flying insects so most likely they will only take down a large moth at best but I have seen chinese mantids take on all kinds of animals. I myself have been tempted to try to feed a mouse to a large chinese female. I wouldnt say large prey items are unhealthy for your mantis but keep in mind that the larger the prey is the higher you risk your mantis getting hurt or even eaten by what your feeding to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends.

1. Will your mantis get hurt by the prey?

2. Your Mantis will more than likely NOT eat all of it. Are you prepared to clean the mess up afterwards?

3. As with most smaller prey Mantis (in my experience) tend to eat their prey whilst its still alive. A fly wont make much noise whilst its getting eaten but a Mouse/Bird certainly will.

@kms I would only ogger small prey like fish fry and pinkies...to the normal moths/flies etc

@Rau

1. i'm thinking of offering small defenceless prey, 0% chance of hurt to my future mantis :)

2. heh after keeping reps that will be easy

3. no birds involved...small pinkies will not do any real sounds and neither fish

thanks for the replies btw :)

also found this...eating catfood

apart from the salt content, there are preservatives in it, so I think its not good feeding. (yes that my post :p )

I rather enjoy feeding my chinese mantids nice fat cicadas. They put up a good fight and sound like crashing air planes as they are being eaten. They also dont have any body parts that can harm a mantis. If you have an adult chines it will likely eat most if not all of it even though its nearly half its size.

Mantids eat insects and should be fed insects. Last time those vids were posted it ignited a big argument here so don't be surprised if the videos are removed or the thread locked.

Mantids eat insects and should be fed insects. Last time those vids were posted it ignited a big argument here so don't be surprised if the videos are removed or the thread locked.
as long as the discussion is kept civil, I don't see why they should be removed but if there's flaming, feel free :)

about mantids eating insects - I would have thought they eat what they can catch, like opportunistic predatation...other predators do that, including big mammals.

btw if anyone's wondering, already setting up a fly culture and hopefully stick insect one, which will be available before my ghosts arrive :)

as long as the discussion is kept civil, I don't see why they should be removed but if there's flaming, feel free :)

about mantids eating insects - I would have thought they eat what they can catch, like opportunistic predatation...other predators do that, including big mammals.

btw if anyone's wondering, already setting up a fly culture and hopefully stick insect one, which will be available before my ghosts arrive :)
They won't be removed unless there are issues.

They are opportunistic predators but their diet is going to consist of almost nothing but insects and in captivity that is what they should be fed.

They won't be removed unless there are issues.

They are opportunistic predators but their diet is going to consist of almost nothing but insects and in captivity that is what they should be fed.
I agree.

btw is bug water (the jelly like substance) good for mantids - or should I stick to spraying?