What to feed in winter?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or try kijiji.

Search terms: fruit fly, hydei, melanogaster, flightless.

If you start with hydei, they.might be too big for most L1s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, phasmids are herbivorous. What species are they? I have heard some species can be fed lettuce from the store. 

No one can advise properly unless we know which species it is.

You said -20 outside so I'm guessing there isnt anything growing. Bramble (semi evergreen) if there's any about. Failing that I'd try and see if you could buy a potted eucalyptus, pyracantha or photinia maybe even a rose. They might accept evergreen oak if thats an option. Obviously if you get a potted plant try and check it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides recently.  

I've heard of people giving them romaine lettuce in desperate times but supposedly phasmids wont really grow on it. Whatever you offer remember to cut some of the leaves as very small nymphs sometimes can't start eat whole leaves themselves.

Great link! Very helpful. The rasberry bushes (from what I understand is what bramble is?) Are still outside just no leaves. Could I split the stem open and feed the insides? Thanks

Bramble is blackberry, same family so I don't any reason they wouldn't at least try them. I don't think the insides of the stems would work, I doubt they'd recognise it as edible and small nymphs would probably not be able to chew it.

However rubus plants are tough, so you could try taking some cuttings and tricking them into waking up early by bringing them inside and keeping them in a jar of water. Hopefully the warmth will make the growth points open and put out some leaves. If it worked chances are they'd put out roots too.

Bramble is genus Rubus, which includes both blackberries and raspberries. 

The cutting idea might work, but I remember reading before that the leaves on new bramble growth are toxic to phasmids. The growth from a cutting would not harden off for quite a while. Regardless, unless you live near an organic nursery and can buy pesticide-free bramble, this might be your best option. 

Latest posts