What to feed Isopods?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GradonH

Reaction score
I'm trying to establish a colony of Dalmation Isopods as clean up crew for a centipede enclosure. Not sure what I should be feeding them though and I was surprised to find there is very little information online. I have leaf litter and veggies at my disposal. Seller said to feed them slices of mushroom but id like to know if there are any veggies I should feed more often/stay away from. Thank you!

They can more or less survive on leaf litter alone but carrots and other veggies are good too. You can also try feeding them any deceased feeders or other dead inverts, might help them be prepared for their clean up crew job.

I'm trying to establish a colony of Dalmation Isopods as clean up crew for a centipede enclosure.
I would advise against housing them together, as I had just a few centipedes make it into one of my isopod tanks (hidden in tree bark pieces) and they quickly nearly wiped out the isopods. I had several hundred isopods originally (close to 500), and within in a few weeks were less than 100 when I discovered the fat stone centipedes (Lithobiomorpha sp.).

Many tank mates will fed from isopods, rather fed well or not, even mantids will eat them occasionally (or kill them while "tasting" them).

I'm trying to establish a colony of Dalmation Isopods as clean up crew for a centipede enclosure. Not sure what I should be feeding them though and I was surprised to find there is very little information online. I have leaf litter and veggies at my disposal. Seller said to feed them slices of mushroom but id like to know if there are any veggies I should feed more often/stay away from. Thank you!
I've tried all sorts of fruits over the years and some are better than others but none have caused them to die. I wouldn't suggest veggies because the food value is limited. Bugsincyberspace.com sells a booklet on keeping them.

Latest posts