What's your favorite?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite species/group of mantis?

• Flower mantises

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Ghost mantis

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Orchid mantises

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sphodromantis sp.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rhombodera sp.

• Popa spurca

• Hierodula sp.

• Tenodera sp.

• Wide-Arm mantis

• Budwing mantis

• Dead leaf mantises

• Stagmomantis sp.

• Heterochaeta

• Boosh96 didn't inclde my favorite(s)!

• Total voters

Boosh96

Reaction score
What's your favorite mantis, and WHY?

Edit: My current favorite is the ghost mantis-they're my first pet mantises and they just look awesome. It's a blast watching my ghosts eat even though they don't actively chase their prey. They just kinda stand there, intently watching the crickets and wagging their butts. It's almost kinda cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the ghosts and some of the others, rhombo,budwings and tenodera. But I love the klingon warrior spirit of the Heirodulas. Martha the first was quite the warrior but her daughters were sweet. Patty, Heirodula pattalifera was also a sweet mantis. She gave kisses. One look though at her mate and WHAM! She grabbed him and killed him. Oh well. Thats a heirodula!

Well Boosh, I can't really say with any kind of certainty that you're a "Friggin' moron", but whether you are or aren't surely has nothing to do with the omission of the Heterochaeta Sp. :)

It's too early for me to tell. I first got into mantids in September when I caught a gravid mantis religiosa. She made an ootheca and died soon after. The ooth is in my fridge waiting for spring. Since then I have purchased 5 different mantids but they are all still in their early stages. Although I have to say my sphodromantis lineola is a joy. Easy to care for, voracious appetite, and calm to handle.

Well Boosh, I can't really say with any kind of certainty that you're a "Friggin' moron", but whether you are or aren't surely has nothing to do with the omission of the Heterochaeta Sp. :)
Lol. It was a joke, but I looked back and thought it was kind of a lame joke. So I changed it. :p

My favorites are choerododis strumaria, Pogonogaster tristani, and toxodera

My absolute favorite is Psuedocreobotra wahlbergii. Haven't kept one yet, or any other mantis I haven't collected from the wild. It will be the first mantis I ever do buy though.

My absolute favorites are the Tenodera Sinensis, first mantis I ever had as a little girl. Love the natives but have to say I'm pretty enamored of the budwings and oxyopsis for non native. Chelsea sent me a pair of budwings and I just can't stop staring at Marilyn, she is so beautiful. I hope to breed her and John soon :)

I really want to try the Rhombos they seem strong and feisty, I like that. It's awesome to see such diversity in all of our tastes in mantids ^.^

*natives as in the mantises we commonly see in this country. I realize the religiosa and Tenodera were brought here but they have thrived so they kinda earned their stripes. As a hobbyist I would eventually like to raise the species we have here in the US primarily, call me boring