What's your favourite band? (music)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alice In Chains

Seattle, Washington, U.S

Grunge

Fave song: man in the box

10 Years

Tennessee (?) U.S

Alternative

Fave song: Insects

Chevelle

Illinois U.S

Alternative

Fave song: Sleep Apnea

Metallica

California (U.S)

Metal

Fave song: (this is hard) Enter sandman (because it was the first time I heard them)

Rage Against the Machine

Audioslave

Soundgarden (bunching them all as one).

I also enjoy listening to Paramore, Megadeth, STP, Tool, and some other bands.

Tool, Cloud Cult, Mogwai, Do Make Say Think, Elliott Smith, Bloc Party, 65daysofstatic, Pinback, Weezer, Sigur Ros.

I'm a DJ at the NCSU radio station. I do a post-rock show on Sunday nights from 6-8.

I must say Joe, your taste varies alot. I like it.I looked up those bands, great stuff, I'll look to download it.

Electrasy - Cosmic Castaway is very catchy, I love it.
Just 9 bands (not counting the honorable mentions)... heck, if I took the time, I could write a whole book describing my favorite bands! Hehehehehe!

For one, Black Sabbath is up there, not just because of being a great band by themselves, but for inspiring others. Thergothon is up there, because they started the funeral doom genre, along with the band Funeral (Norway) that came about later, which in turn influenced early Mournful Congregation - my favorite funeral doom band. Of course, there would probably be no funeral doom if there were no doom metal, so the pioneers of that genre include Pentagram from the 70s and of course, Black Sabbath. The first track of their first album is the first DOOM riff!

But then there are bands that took the heavy rock (as it was described back then) played by Black Sabbath and to some extend Led Zeppelin, even The Who and The Beatles are credited with some early heavy metal or protometal songs, and evolved it into something heavier and faster. Budgie and Thin Lizzy are early influences for the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Judas Priest practically invented speed metal, and some say they helped the Thrash metal genre evolve when they took their speed metal songs and played them faster and harder in a live environment for the Priest in the East live album. Overkill, Venom, Hellhammer, Mantas and Possessed are early bands that helped further along thrash (Overkill), black (Venom and Hellhammer) and death metal (Mantas and Possessed), which are three of the biggest extreme metal genres.

The thrash metal route quickly exploded with several notable bands forming between 1980 and 1983 - including Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus and so on.

The death metal route also took off - Possessed released Seven Churches in '85 and Mantas changed their name to Death, releasing Scream Bloody Gore in '86. These early players helped later bands such as Obituary, Cannibal Corpse and the legendary Morbid Angel rise to fame. Cannibal Corpse was even featured in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective... because they are one of Jim Carrey's favorite bands.

Black metal went from Venom's NWOBHM such as Welcome to heck in '81 and Black Metal in '82. This influenced a band called Hellhammer that took the Venom sound to the next extreme, with the demo Satanic Rites in '83 and Apocalyptic Raids EP in '84. Hellhammer heavily influenced two early black metal bands, Bathory and Mayhem. Bathory released their debut in '84 and Mayhem released their first demo in '86, followed by Deathcrush in '87 and a ton of drama between them and Varg and Euronymous and blah blah blah before releasing De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas in 1994 (but by then, black metal had already taken root and exploded)

Heathen has been a recent favorite band of mine because they just released their first new album in 18 years! They are thrash metal, early stuff had elements of speed metal and are often described as the band Metallica should've become after And Justice For All (instead of delving into modern rock and losing their metal roots for the Black Album, Load, Reload and St.Anger) - The Evolution of Chaos sounds more like a progression of Bay Area thrash and has some audible Exodus influences from Lee Altus playing in Exodus since 2005.

Death metal influenced funeral doom, some critics of the genre claim it to be merely death metal played at a very slow pace. Not really true, but death/doom was the major influence on Thergothon, who took the death/doom sound to the next extreme.

Black metal also influenced a second generation of funeral doom that mixes the slow tempos and heavy guitars with black metal - Nortt, Abyssmal Sorrow, Dictator, Furva Ambiguitas, The Austrasian Goat, Wither, Funeral Mourning, Blood of the Black Owl are just some of the bands that I love that play this sort of music.

So when I say my favorite band is Mournful Congregation, I acknowledge that this also means my favorite bands include Thergothon and Funeral, as well as their influences which probably included bands like Winter, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, who were influenced by Black Sabbath and death metal at the time... death metal being influenced by thrash, which was influenced by Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Venom and so on, who were all influenced by Black Sabbath to a degree... and Black Sabbath was influenced by the 60s blues/rock fusion and guitarists like Jimmy Hendrix. Their influences could be stretched farther back, with blues coming about in the late 19th century and rock coming about around the 40s and 50s as rock and roll.

And this is just the metal side of the spectrum. Eiffel 65 probably can trace their roots to House music, electronic music of the 80s, Disco and even Musique Concrete and Frank Zappa.

Um, wow. Great ellaboration Joe.Where does metalcore fit into this? I know I had to ask :p
Yeah, you had to! Hahaha!

So first, the -core part of metalcore goes back to the days of The Sex Pistols and Ramones, punk rock! Minor Threat and other early hardcore punk bands influenced Thrash metal - the aggression of thrash metal wasn't born out of metal, it was inspired by old school hardcore! Hardcore bands were even the earliest users of the "Blast Beat" which became common in death and black metal... I think I even heard an example from as far back as 1981... but definitely by 1983 it was established in the hardcore genre.

Crossover bands, such as Suicidal Tendencies, were the first to merge thrash metal and hardcore. Napalm Death are one of the first to merge death metal and hardcore (spawning grindcore).

Metalcore in a more recognizable form comparable to modern metalcore bands didn't appear until later. Overcast was one of the first bands to play this style. I describe their early album somewhat like a Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage sound, but with thrash metal and a Slayer inspired sound.

Overcast was a predecessor to Killswitch Engage and Shadows Fall, their members included members of those later bands. Darkest Hour is another early band, releasing an EP in 1996, but the genre didn't really spread until around 2002 when Killswitch Engage hit it big. By then, metalcore had largely borrowed elements from the Gothenburg sound of melodic death metal, especially In Flames and At The Gates. It is from this brand of metalcore that the popular style we see today derived. Some metalcore bands incorporated post-hardcore and emo influences, others fused metalcore with nu-metal and others took the breakdown-aspect of metalcore and fused it with brutal death metal, forming the Deathcore genre.

Nu-metal (the Korn, Linkin Park and Slipknot type bands) has two separate lineages in some way. First is a merger of Grunge and Hip Hop and basically making it sound heavier, the other is a simplification of Pantera's groove metal sound and incorporating elements of Grunge, Hip Hop and alternative influences. Both types eventually merged, some bands favor one type more than the other - the Slipknot sound is the latter, Korn is in between and Linkin Park is a melodic and non-aggressive version of the former.

Alternative metal, sometimes confused with nu-metal, has earlier roots, coinciding with Grunge but not influenced by it. Faith No More was an early example of such a band, as was Mr. Bungle. This eventually led to bands like System of a Down.

System of a Down is kinda funny. They start off with BWAAWWAWAAAAAUUUUUUAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRGGG and then they go like lalalalalalalalalaaaa....

BWAUAUAUUAAAAAAAAUUURGGGG... lalalalalalalalalaaaaa....

I have like 20,000 favorites, here's a few.

Band name: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Genre: Indie Rock

Favorite band member: Karen O is amazing, duh.

Band name: Pinback

Genre: Indie Rock

Favorite band member: everyone.

Band name: Jawbreaker

Genre: Punk

Favorite band member: Raspy ol' Blake Schwarzenbach

Christians should not listen to this album. Not for christians, Nine inch nails' Downward spiral, Always makes me feel better when I am pissed off with exes, or even my husband. Even if it is directed for males. I always feel better after listening to it. There are a couple of songs that can offend people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christians should not listen to this album. Not for christians, Nine inch nails' Downward spiral, Always makes me feel better when I am pissed off with exes, or even my husband. Even if it is directed for males. I always feel better after listening to it.
It is a good album, I love March of the Pigs.

For some reason, I get stuck on that when I am down. I don't get out much. :mellow: I am also glad that someone else likes it, it drove me nuts when I was a teen, and still applies sometimes. It is not my favorite band, as it would be wrong to choose one. Actually I saw them/him yesterday on this palladia channel that I have via direct tv. It actually sounded bad on TV, and we have some decent equipment. I can just relate with his feelings sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! I've listened to the Ting tings, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and Cold Play more times than I care to admit. I do kinda like the Ting Tings though, they are pritty catchy.

Maybe I should add that those are my kids choices, they've recently become interested in music..... Lucky me :lol: But me, I think I'll always like and listen to, Pink Floyd/Roger Waters, Led Zepplin, Golgol Bordello, and I've been getting into Bluegrass, mostly instrumentals, it just seems American. And awesome.

I used to listen to Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the moon" over and over when I was a teen. I got to see thier "Division bell concert" when I was 16. That was the best concert I have ever seen. It helped that we had VIP seats, it was weird, they were serving champagne and caviar in that one section. :lol: I liked the beginning part, they had these sound effects like crickets and frogs calling, when it sounded like a plane was flying over, I wanted to duck down. :eek:

I am a metal head
punk.gif
Anything that would have a mosh pit at the show is a good choice. Tool, Disturbed, Slipknot, Papa Roach (which, on a side note, puts on the best show I've ever seen, and I've seen them 3 times), A Perfect Circle, Three Days Grace, Metallica, ACDC, etc. I can't put a finger on a single favorite because I get sick of a band after a few weeks of listening to them. Interesting to read everyone else's favs too!

Latest posts