When exactly should I put my mantids together?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdreamchas3r913

Reaction score
I have two (I think) Stagmomantis Carolina and I'm wondering when I can mate them. Should I wait for the female to get pregnant? That's what I did with my last pair. They are both adults.

Just make sure she's not getting too too big or she may lay before you get around to breeding. Of course she can still breed and lay after that. But it's kind of sad to miss one like that.

One method that has worked well with me is to get a roll of paper towels, put the male near it, then coax the female to climb up the paper towel in front of and away from the male. The male should notice her and slowly creep up behind her, then hop on her back and start mating.

Once the male is connected with the female, it is okay to stop observing them? Per chance does anyone know how long D. lobata should be connected for the mating to be good?

One method that has worked well with me is to get a roll of paper towels, put the male near it, then coax the female to climb up the paper towel in front of and away from the male. The male should notice her and slowly creep up behind her, then hop on her back and start mating.

Once the male is connected with the female, it is okay to stop observing them? Per chance does anyone know how long D. lobata should be connected for the mating to be good?
Of course it is ok to stop observing. Why would you want to observe something that often last for many hours? I feel that mantids should be left undisturbed as much as possible.

What should i do now? I've been trying to mate them for the past week and the male just ignores the female. is he not ready? i feel like hes just mentally ill.

Latest posts