When is enough actually enough?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausar318

Reaction score
How many mantids do you all have? I’m just wondering if I’m going overboard lol. I have just over 60 older nymphs, and still about 30 L2 Creobroter (which are still available 😉). 

And to make matters worse (or better?) im getting more mantids today. I have 12 species, and quite a few ooths that hopefully will hatch soon. 

Do I have too much?!? And how many do you guys have?

@ausar318

I have Forty-eight as of yesterday, and I have several adult or sub-adult breeding pairs of a few species, and I am incubating six ghost ooths, so I am right there with you! I think that if you have the time, the space, the money, and the enthusiasm then a collection can never be too big! What species are you getting today? What species of ooths will hatch soon? 

My list of current mantids:

Hierodula membranacea x6 L2 and L3

Hymenopus coronautus x5 L2 and L3

Gongylus gongylodes x4 pre-sub, sub, and adult (two males, two females)

Parasphendale affinis x5 (adult pair, three sub females)

Eremiaphila sp. x1 L4

Popa spurca x5 L4

Creobroter sp. L3 and L4 (from you  :)  )

Phyllocrania paradoxa x4 L4, L5, and adult

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii x7 L4, L5, L6

Brunneria borealis x1 L5 or L6

Sphodromantis gastrica x1 (adult female)

Stagmomantis limbata x1 L3

And I THINK this is all for now, but who knows when I will get more!

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s my list:

4x Ceratomantis saussurii (L4)

5x Phyllocrania Illudens (L2)

2x orchid mantids (adult pair)

6x H. Membranacea (L3-4)

3x Spiny flower mantis (2 sub females and a male)

4x Ghost mantis (3 sub females and a male)

20x Galinthias amoena (10 L4-L5 pairs)

4x Deroplatys desiccata (L5 male and 3 females)

3x Creobroter (L3-4)

2x Panther mantis (L3-4)

And there are a few more I’m forgetting. Oof

Oh, and also the 30+ L2 Creobroters from the most recent hatch. (Hint to anyone reading this: shoot me a message, I’ll give you an awesome deal! 😊). 

And ive got 2 empusa ooths, 2 theoproprus ooths (both involved with a partnership I have with a very good friend of mine here on the forum!). Also 2 orchid ooths, and 4 Hierodula Venosa ooths

Still,  as long as feeding takes, and as late as I have to stay up because of it, I really enjoy doing it. It’s really fun looking at my bug corner and seeing a ton of happy nymphs eating flies 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s my list:

4x Ceratomantis saussurii (L4)

5x Phyllocrania Illudens (L2)

2x orchid mantids (adult pair)

6x H. Membranacea (L3-4)

3x Spiny flower mantis (2 sub females and a male)

4x Ghost mantis (3 sub females and a male)

20x Galinthias amoena (10 L4-L5 pairs)

4x Deroplatys desiccata (L5 male and 3 females)

3x Creobroter (L3-4)

2x Panther mantis (L3-4)

And there are a few more I’m forgetting. Oof

Oh, and also the 30+ L2 Creobroters from the most recent hatch. (Hint to anyone reading this: shoot me a message, I’ll give you an awesome deal! 😊). 

Still,  as long as feeding takes, and as late as I have to stay up because of it, I really enjoy doing it. It’s really fun looking at my bug corner and seeing a ton of happy nymphs eating flies 😄
:)  Cool! You certainly have a collection! I would message you about creos if I wasn't busy with the eight that I already have! Today is feeding day again! I have to feed the creos, popas, orchids, hierodula, and pseudocreobotras. Lots of fruit flies for sure!

- MantisGirl13

Having a lot of cultures is definitely important. I accidentally sent my two best cultures away a couple weeks ago, so I had to ration my flies a bit. But luckily, before I sent them away, I transferred some of them into 10 new jars, and they’re starting to produce new flies now! So I’ve got a good supply of flies on they’re way. 

I am glad you have fly cultures still! I hate it when my one culture is dying and my other cultures are all larvae and pupae so I have to ration the flies. It gets really annoying! 

- MantisGirl13

We only have a few. Three ghosts, an H. Majuscula, and a peacock.

I apply the same rules to all "collections." From Judge John Hodgman. "The difference between a hoarder and a collector is a display case."

If you are thoughtful about how you display and organize things, a large collection is fine. When it is disorganized and haphazard, it is too large and you should scale back to focus on organizing what you have. Obviously in this case, with animals, proper care is also a concern. You have too many if they aren't all getting properly fed, misted, etc.

I think I may be on the borderline of having too much for my care taking abilities. I'm cutting myself off until the New Year... unless you have adult males for my lonely females. ;)

I love them and find them to be addictively entertaining. Taking vacations is a real headache.

10x- Gongylus gongylodes (L4-Adults)

1x- Brunner (Adult)

8x- Ghost Mantis -L3-adult 

2x Ceratomantis saussurii  L3

6x Creobroter (L3)

2x Idolomantis (L4-L6)

4x Thistle Mantis (L4)

7x- Hymenopus coronatus (L3-Adult)

2x- Deroplatys desiccata (L3)

1x Lobata (Adult Female)

1x- Peruvian Leaf (adult female)

1x- Golden Asian Mantis (adult female)

1x- Rhombodera Fusca

2x- Budwing (breeding pair)

I have a 3/4 dead M. religiosa female. Her name was Lola. She was a show girl. :D

Hopefully receiving 4 or 5 M. caffra L4 nymphs next week. ❤️

We also have Lola's ooth. If it's fertilized, we'll have a little family of Europeans.

My options in Toronto, Canada are limited. 😫

I have about 30 ghosts right now: 22 L4 and 8 L5/6 (L4s are for sale 😉😊)

Orchids are my faves, and I have 13 currently but definitely am buying even more. I have 3 adult males, 3 sub adult females (preparing to molt to adult very soon), and 7 L3/4 nymphs. 

I thought I had a lot, but I don't feel as much like a mantis hoarder seeing the scope of some of your collections. I've totally got room for more! 😁 

I echo the sentiment that as long as you have the time to do it and enjoy the time you spend caring for your collection, you are fine. 

wow, you guys have really a lot mantids, I have 8 at the moment and not thinking to get more.🤐 On my desk is my row of 8 mantids en when they outgrow their cups they need more space... lol. ThInk my hubby will complain then :p

1 H. membranacea

2 ghosts

2 h. masjuscula

1 budwing

2 h. Golden

So about 8-9 months ago I had 150+ mantis from 20+ species. Absolutely crazy. Way too crazy. At that point I was stressed and gave up on the hobby. Now I’m back but starting off slow

9x ceratomantis presub(?)

7x Hestiasula M. Subadults

7x ephestiasula presubs and subs

4x pseudoacanthops L5/6

1 L4/5 Parablepharis with 2 more on the way

7x presub/sub B. Mendica

6x D. Lobata L3

6x new species of acromantis on the way L2

2x mated adult female Gonatista G.

4x fertile gonatista G. Ooths(might sell a couple after I make sure they are fertile when one hatches, that is if people want them)

It may seem like a lot but to be real it really only takes 30 min to a hour every other day to care for these guys... I have a feeling that will change once I start getting ooth hatches and breeding sessions XD

I think the variety is my favorite part. Even if only have 2-3 of a bunch of species, I like that a lot more than having 30+ of two species. I think that’s mainly why I enjoy having so many. When I show people pictures, they’re always really amazed by one species, and I show them another, and their mind is blown even more. 

By the way... @Connor, you mention ceratomantis. Do you happen to know how many molts they’ve had? I have 3 L4s, and I’m wondering how far along they are in development. 

@ausar318 I have really no idea how many they’ve had tbh. I estimate they’ve shed around 4 times and I’ve had them since they were L2/3. They are still so tiny though! But I do know that as adults they are tiny too. The part that makes me think they are around presub is first, they’ve molted so many times and second, I am starting to see their wing buds when I use a flashlight up close. They are so tiny though it’s hard to tell!

It may seem like a lot but to be real it really only takes 30 min to a hour every other day to care for these guys... I have a feeling that will change once I start getting ooth hatches and breeding sessions XD
I just put on some good tunes and tap out flies to the beat. 😀

Latest posts