When till adult?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charoozz520

Reaction score
So I have what I believe is a subadult African Mantis but I lost count of how many molts it has gone through so I am not sure if it will be an adult by next molt. It hasn't molt in 2-3 weeks. I am pretty sure this is a female and the longer slender one I have is a male hopefully they will breed. Can anyone let me know if I am right that it will be a adult by next molt? Thanks

DSC00431.jpg

Looks more like a budwing mantis to me (Parasphendale affinis). The stripe patterns on his arms and legs look exactly like the patterns on budwings I've had in the past. I don't know how close she is to adulthood, though. If it is truly a sub-adult then it is very close. How long have you had her and what temperature do you keep her in? My Sphodromantis lineola nymphs took a bit longer than three weeks to molt from L4 to L5, and the two that are now L6 took nearly four weeks to get that far. It will be a long time for it to molt from sub-adult to adult.

I am sorry I meant Budwing :wacko: um I think I had these for mid Sep. Some of them are still in their L4 stage. I had them on a heat pad for awhile but I needed it for my lizards so they been in room temp for the past couple of weeks. I think I will put them on top of my light fixture to warm them up a bit. How hard are these to breed btw? Thanks guys :mellow:

was about to say, thats no african! :D

i vote subadult, three weeks till shed

but then again, i jumped straight into flower mantids so i don't really know

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! This will be my first mantis that I raised from baby to adulthood so I am excited :) hopefully I will be able to breed her with a male.

Latest posts