When Would You

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwonni

Reaction score
Order fruit flys?

i see people always getting told off for not having a culture of fruit flies in when an ooth hatches

i have an ooth and have been told mid august it will hatch when would you make an order for the flies? would you do it as early as now?

and suppose it depends on there meaning of mid august could mean 15/16th or consider 1-10th early 10-20th 20-31st late

personally i'd get them up to a month before... then you can start culturing your own making sure you have enough! I'm not sure what ooth you have but average numbers range from 20-200 nymphs... so you'll need a number greater than that if you want them all to survive - one vial/ tub might have about 50 in at any one time and average hatch rate might be about 20 a day if you're lucky... so best to have your own backup

best to get them in at least a week before, preferable more, as sometimes when you order cultures online, they have no flies in and are only recently started, so it will be about a week or two before you get some useable flies. also, infinity suggested getting it a month before and starting your own cultures which i would also reccommend, so you can guarantee youve always got some at hand.

its a ghost so not expecting too many

i'll make an order in the next few days then

Get em now. Get a good culture going now way ahead of the expected nymphs.

Latest posts