where can I get melanogaster overnight?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iris oratoria in AZ. It is actually late in the season for them. They usually hatch late February.  It has been very cold here. It was warm for a couple days and unfortunately one  just died and another one has not eaten in a week and will probably be dead tomorrow. I got them pinheads and the fruit flies at petsmart which are all the same size as the nymphs. I tried finding those argentine ants but they are all gone as are the aphids.  The feeder stores here stopped carrying fruit flies. At least one nymph ate. I did order some online but there was no overnighting.  I feel so sick.  How hard is it to get small bugs?

Thank you. I guess I had better overnight it anyway.

Have you considered giving them some honey or anything else to tide them over?  I've even heard people giving small pieces of raw hamburger in a real pinch, but obviously not something you want to do regularly.  You could also try possibly cutting the flies you have into smaller pieces.  The mantids obviously wont see them move then, but if you touch a piece to their mouth they might just start eating it and grab it from you. 

One more possibility, not sure if you have house plants, but if you do and you search the soil carefully you can usually find some small fungus gnats.  I had to do this the last few days for a small spider sling I have who is too small for flies.  They are hard to see though and you will likely need a flashlight or something.

Wish I would have seen your post yesterday, I would have overnighted some melanos to you, however they still woudn't have arrived until Monday.  Keep us updated when the ones you ordered are due to arrive.

I get overnight shipments Fed Ex of various cricket sizes and hydei flies from Rainbow Mealworms. They are totally reliable and their critters are the best.

Mantis place had good melanogaster flies.  I saved a couple nymphs, but most died.  Now that it is warm about a hundred more nymphs hatched.  I just don't see any small bugs out here. There are no aphids or argentine ants.  I have found those gnats before but I can't find them now.  I know that it is nature and only the strong will survive outside.  It just makes me sad at how many will die of starvation. I have had thousands of nymphs hatch in the spring (outside) a few years in a row, to only have 1 or 2 females survive, but they have usually kept the species alive here. Just so sad to see so many babies disappear, and sad to find dead adults or subadults that obviously starved.

Thank you!

The percentages of nymphs or any young to achieve adulthood in nature are terribly low . I have hatched two or three ootheca only to have 1 or 2 survive ........ S

Latest posts