Where can you buy captive bred locust in usa?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
where having a hot discussion over the chameleon forum..people think its ok to feed there chameleons mantids because you cant buy captive bred locust in the us and the ones in the wild have pesticides on..so i was thinking..this cant be true..so i came over here hoping one of you can direct me to the right place so i can try and stop these guys feeding mantids to there chameleons <_< any links would be appicated.. Save the mantids :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems most keepers are against feeding wild insects to their herps. I occasionaly feed some to my geckos from my yard because I don't use any pesticides or anything. Not really worried about parasites. I don't know of any place that sells locusts.

I can sympathize with yr desire to Save the Mantids, P.J., but I'm not sure what you mean by an American "locust", since the only US species to earn that name, the Rocky Mountain Locust, Schistocerca americana, kicked the bucket, species wise, about a hundred years ago. Good thing too! Locusts are swarmers, and the winged form can blacken the skies with their numbers and devour crops at an amazing rate! Generally, the regulatory APHID folks in the U.S. are pretty laisser faire, but if someone started cultivating imported locusts for culture, their establishment would be surrounded by a SWAT team in no time!

Still, it would seem that large crix would fill the bill much more inexpensively and easily than mantids. Make up a pin, with one of yr great pix, saying "Say NO to Food Mantids!" and I'll be happy to buy a few from you!

I did some web browsing after I wrote the above and wonder if by "locusts" you don't mean short horned grasshoppers or even grassoppers in general. Crickets are more readily produced than grasshoppers, and there is nowhere that I can find that sells them (unless you mean the women's shoes), but they are easily caught with a sweep net if you live in the right area like I do. Unless you capture them in someone's yard (garden), they are not likely to be contaminated, and one quick way to tell an uncntaminated one with a contaminated one is that the second is usually dead!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've seen a documentary on Locust and what I remember just about all grasshoppers can become Locust. The researchers found that there are triggers to get the grasshoppers to trun into Locust and it only takes one locust to trun a group they found and then they sworm and move on and pick up grasshoppers that are truned to Locust and so on. Oh ya they produce a chemical that truns other grasshoppers into Locust. :eek:

Danny

I don't believe mantids will ever become staple feeders for chameleons, or any other animal. You just can't find as many mantids in the wild, as grasshoppers or crickets (in season). And to buy mantids as food would be cost prohibitive. Even if you bought a T. sinensis ooth, intending to raise the nymphs as feeders... it's just too much work, time, and money to be cost effective or worth it.

Sure, we balk at the idea of mantids as feeders, because we love them so. But there's really no danger of it becoming a widespread common practice. The odd mantis taken and used as food, does not a "feeder insect" make.

I don't believe mantids will ever become staple feeders for chameleons, or any other animal. You just can't find as many mantids in the wild, as grasshoppers or crickets (in season). And to buy mantids as food would be cost prohibitive. Even if you bought a T. sinensis ooth, intending to raise the nymphs as feeders... it's just too much work, time, and money to be cost effective or worth it. Sure, we balk at the idea of mantids as feeders, because we love them so. But there's really no danger of it becoming a widespread common practice. The odd mantis taken and used as food, does not a "feeder insect" make.
I agree. I have used excess mantids or dying mantids as food for my reptiles or other mantids.

Latest posts