Where is it ok for a mantid to lay it's ooth?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdreamchas3r913

Reaction score
My preggo female is just about ready to make its ooth. But she stays at the top of the aquarium where i keep her. Its just a screen lid thingy you find on reptile tanks. I'm worried she won't go down (i even provided a super perfect twig thing for her to use) is it ok for her just to lay the ooth on the screen? should i just let her be or put her on the twig? I'm just scared she'll find some really awkward place to lay her eggs and theyll end up not hatching.

She may or may not lay her ooth on the twig. If she lays her ooth on the screen, wait 3-4 days for it to dry then remove it with a razor or let it be if you want.

It dont matter where she lays it, it is where she is comfy! Let her be and the perfect twig, may not be perfect to her, but she thanks you kindly for trying! ;)

it been my experience that if you have screen they love to lay it there,unless you put many twigs on top buy it. but hey you can always cut the screen and patch it up. I did a few times,the ooth went to far through the screen to use a razor.

It usually comes off screen pretty easy.

But ya, she will lay it where ever she feels like.

If you don't use the word preggy you can always switch to preggers.

I'm with the others, she's going to lay wherever she feels like it and there's not much you can do to change it! :lol: Once it's dried for a couple of days, you can attempt to remove it from the surface she laid it on, but be extremely careful or you may damage the eggs!

Like what everyone says, she's gonna have her ooth where ever she wants. Most likely, it'll be on the top screen. If you can already forsee that, then move her somewhere else to have her ooth. Before the ooth is laid, you still have the option of whether you want her to lay her ooth on the screen or not.

Oh, and it comes off of the plastic tops of critter keepers easier than off of screen. And off of loose mesh or screen easiest of anything I have dealt with (you can just roll it off). I guess you could put a loose screen inside your scren top and she could hang from and lay on that. Hopefully she doesn't lay through and stick it to both screens. Ha!

From what I read, I guess it's ok for her to lay it on the screen. I'll just let her be then! And sorry no offense for using that word! =( Thanks for the advice everyone!

From what I read, I guess it's ok for her to lay it on the screen. I'll just let her be then! And sorry no offense for using that word! =( Thanks for the advice everyone!
The correct entomological term is "a bun in the oven", but in the case of the Mantidae, instead of saying "bun" we usually say "meringue". :D

Latest posts