Where to get fruit fly pupae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proserpina

Reaction score
Where do you all get your fruit fly pupae? I'm going to start my own culture but don't see where I can find the pupae for d. hydei. Do I have to buy a premade culture and use those flies instead?

@proserpina Nowhere. ;) Seriously though fruit fly pupae is rather rare, the only one that I can think of has the wild flying Melanogaster variety sold here; however, nearly everyone just buys flightless fruit flies in vials/cultures and adds some of the flies (30-50) to new cultures.

The flies keep reproducing and it can be repeated until you have enough. From little vials I've cultured about fifty 32oz cultures total over many months, but without the need for them I tend to slack off on starting new ones and they end up crashing. See the topic below for help

As to where to buy the cultures depends on your local pet stores, some in my area like PetCo and PetSmart usually stock them. If you have to buy them online, due to the current weather Express shipping is the only option for most, so be aware it usually costs $30 just in shipping. The usual mantid sites have them BugsInCyberspace, MantisPlace, PanTerra Pets, and MantidKingdom.

I would recommend looking at stores feedback on our forum too (Mantid Breeder Feedback and Other Feedback) - as Josh's Frogs has them but according to their feedback most buyers never get any fruit flies (including me).

@CosbyArt Darn it! I suspected as much. I was hoping I wouldn't have to fork out more cash but it looks like my wallet will take one last hit  :lol:  I've usually ordered my cultures from BugsInCyberSpace so I'll just order another culture and start raising my own from there. That thread has been super, super helpful btw! I've been looking at it on and off throughout the day.

Thank you very much for the answer :)

@proserpina Sadly even if you did find pupae shipping would likely be the same price versus cultures - depending on what shipping method they felt safe using. The old wallet does get a workout getting back into it. I myself got 1500 crickets Wednesday, and fruit flies (Melanogaster and Hydei) from Peter (BugsInCyberspace) Thursday. :D

Glad the FF culturing link helped, if you have any questions just ask, I know there are some videos online too. If you make your own FF medium (food), or want to, take a look at the FF recipe collection too. Personally I've never bothered to buy FF medium and have always mixed my own ($0.38 per culture homemade versus $2.50 store bought). Over a year ago I spent a whole day mixing and grinding the FF medium dry mix (no water or fruit) and made 4 1/2 canisters full. I'm finally down to about 3 1/2 canisters so I've still got plenty for several more years. ;)

Rainbow Mealworms sells hydei cultures. Hydei are larger. Plus they sell the mix so you can reuse a deli cup and keep making new cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is it's hard to pick out fruit fly pupae and I don't think you can get them to hibernate as pupae so they're shelf life is a week.

Finding and buying a culture is really the only way to begin culturing your own . Wild fruit flies do fly , D. Hydei & Melanogaster have been bred to be flightless therefore when you buy a starter culture that is your begining . The culture may cost $15.00 and freight will be $35.00 .  As cosbyart wrote formulating your own culture feed can be quite reasonable , as long as you keep up with refreshing cultures every 4 to 5 weeks and don't let them expire . I purchase Rapashy Superfly 3 kg. / 6.6 lb. fruit fly food , that will last years for $50.00.  Get this out of the way and get on to enjoying  Your mantids ......... S

I get melanogaster cultures from Petco fr $9 and hydei cultures from Rainbow Mealworms for $8.99 plus shipping.

if you also order fruit fly culture medium you just start a new culture every few weeks which really cuts the expense. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts