Which species is your favorite?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tenodera, look at those eyes!!!

(an old girl of mine from last year)

036_zpsbc22f760.jpg

037_zps151a79e6.jpg

041_zpsef9b3658.jpg

Rhombodera stalii Classic, powerful mantis with a handsome shield, always green as an adult and with few issues in rearing.

I have to say I really do quite enjoy working with ghost mantises. They're communal and while there is a size difference between the sexes it isn't as drastic as other speciesl. Their appearance is relatively unique even amongst other mantises and excellent aesthetically. They also pose quite exquistely naturally meaning I can just let them be without having to agitate them. Best of all they are easy to feed and ejoyable to raise.

20121011-_MG_0036.jpg20121106-_MG_0058.jpg20121115-_MG_0054_crop.jpg20130725-_MG_0027.jpg20130905-_MG_0326.jpg

I love orchids and idolos!

I've also seen pics of Prohierodula picta which has an interesting diematic display.

Out of the ones I've kept, I love my Rhomboderas. They are large, interactive, and have great personalities. Plus, there is something about their faces that is so endearing. I find myself handling them the most often and they are extremely friendly (well, to me at least :p ). I love freaking people out by sticking my finger in between their raptorials. I know they would not pinch me. :)
ive never had a rhombodera yet but i want one badly, some day :) i dont want to have too many mantods at once because then each one wont get as much attention! i have 12 right now :eek:

Deroplatys lobata! They're awesome looking mantids that I'd love to raise some day.

Between the two species I have now, my Mantis religiosa girl loves chilling on my hand and doesn't mind being handled at all.
i just got 3 deroplatys lobata nymphs from aryia, theyre freakin adorable, theyre at l2 now, one just molted to l3 an hour ago, cant wait to see them all grown up

ive never had a mantis religiosa but would like to own one some day

I love the hierodula family most. They are so smart!
need some of this genus some day! its the first mantid ive ever seen online, and id never seen a wild one, though i will this year, tons of tenodera sinensis oothecae by my house!

I have to say I really do quite enjoy working with ghost mantises. They're communal and while there is a size difference between the sexes it isn't as drastic as other speciesl. Their appearance is relatively unique even amongst other mantises and excellent aesthetically. They also pose quite exquistely naturally meaning I can just let them be without having to agitate them. Best of all they are easy to feed and ejoyable to raise.

attachicon.gif
20121011-_MG_0036.jpg
attachicon.gif
20121106-_MG_0058.jpg
attachicon.gif
20121115-_MG_0054_crop.jpg
attachicon.gif
20130725-_MG_0027.jpg
attachicon.gif
20130905-_MG_0326.jpg
ive had a couple, theyre really sweet and gentle, and adorable, and awesome, gotta love them

Phyllocrania paradoxa, hands down. I am fascinated by the variation of patterns and colors (everything from green to brown, grey, yellow, and black). The body shape and patterning is also amazing. Stunning mantids.