Who likes the Peruvian leaf mantises (Pseudoxyops perpulchra)?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
I raised these once, but they got egg bound and so I couldn't breed them. I think the name means "fake sharp eyes/face" for Pseudoxyops, and "very beautiful" for perpulchra. I kept them too cold maybe, like 50F briefly or maybe even 40F during a cold spell in winter. But I want to try keeping them again some time in the future. I saw Yen Saw had some available recently, but I don't have a lot of money right now, so I will have to pass that opportunity to raise these again. But I was curious to see how many other people were interested in this species. I thought they looked beautiful, and had interesting behavior, such as lifting their wings up and down while walking.

Here is one of the females that I had which was doing that wing lifting behavior:

I got some of these beauties. They have all molted in my care, and I have 2 pairs!! Hopefully breeding them goes well.
IMG_4215.jpeg

I raised these once, but they got egg bound and so I couldn't breed them. I think the name means "fake sharp eyes/face" for Pseudoxyops, and "very beautiful" for perpulchra. I kept them too cold maybe, like 50F briefly or maybe even 40F during a cold spell in winter. But I want to try keeping them again some time in the future. I saw Yen Saw had some available recently, but I don't have a lot of money right now, so I will have to pass that opportunity to raise these again. But I was curious to see how many other people were interested in this species. I thought they looked beautiful, and had interesting behavior, such as lifting their wings up and down while walking.

Here is one of the females that I had which was doing that wing lifting behavior:

I have been looking into buying these but due to them being pretty rare I haven't been able to find any for sale :(

I think they're beautiful but can be a headache to breed. The females are often so aggressive that breeding is difficult. So, I suggest having a few extra males standing by. 😁
Yes, that is a good idea to have extra males. And give plenty of time for the female to mature after molting to adult until she is more receptive and calm.