whoa...feathered mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that pic has been around for a while. In fact I think there was a pretty lengthy discussion about it too. If I remember correctly, it's a Paratoxodera sp.

Has not been in culture since that guy had it in Poland I believe. Difficult husbandry I believe last time I contacted him (about a year ago).

Whoa that looks sick

I cant wait till I get good at mantids and get some cool looking ones.

This one is a nymph of Toxodera beieri. Old photo. Has never been in stock. Until now, most Toxodera specimens survived less than a week in captivity.

No. That would be a nice one. Maybe I used the wrong spelling. No specimen I know of survived the first week, and I refer to all species of this group.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Paratoxodera have a straight pronotum with one or two lobes on it. The photos show (at current state of knowledge) Toxodera fimbriata.

Hi

edit: I deleted most of this post and edited the part underneath.

Somebody told me they live only in higest parts of trees, others told me they only live in fern???

I know they were seen on Java once, but isn't Java's nature destroyed too much for any Toxos left?

regards,

tier

Last edited by a moderator:
Ca. 90% of Java's pristine nature should be destroyed already, but some NP are left and usually the higher peaks are also still forested. That these taxa live in high trees is rather unlikely. They are understorey dwellers.

Some mantids do better when left in the natural habitat rather than in captivity. This species must be very sensative to changes from their natural habitat that they don't last very long in captivity, and deforestation isn't helping. :(

They may be a trick to breed these. It just hasn't been found out yet. Or, they maybe are really not made for captive breeding...

Latest posts