Why are crickets bad for Orchids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a college student, but on breaks I work part-time at a pet store (Complete Petmart) that supplies crickets. The crickets my store carries are supplied by a company called "Top Hat" and I believe they sell some other feeder insects as well.

The crickets we carried were pretty hearty I'd say, but I think when they are shipped in mass to petstores like that, there's a good chance of high mortality rates. We probably lost at least 10% of whatever we ordered during the time that they were kept in the store. When it was cold outside, it often occured that entire shipments of crickets were dead upon arrival. The mortality rates of surviving crickets were also naturally much higher in the winter because of this.

I'd take this stuff into account, and if you are concerned about getting store-bought crickets, keeping them for a day wouldn't be a bad idea. Make sure that aside from food and water, however, you also have somewhere for them to hide (we typically used egg carton, but just about anything will do). If they do not have somewhere to hide, they seem to get stressed out, and I've even seen cases of cannibalism when this happens.

Also be sure that they cannot drown in their water source! An easy feeding/watering method is to buy the gelatin food that they have at most retail petstores. I forget the name of the particular food we carried, but it had the consistency of jello and would provide both food and water for the crickets without risk of drowning. Alternatively, you could slice a fresh potato in half and that would do the same thing (provide food and water), but would probably not provide much nutritional value for the mantids.

At my store, we had a waterbottle/trough with a sponge in the trough, and we would feed the crickets dog/cat food as a staple. To gutload them, we would add in a bunch of tropical fish flaked food (which they readily ate) and then feed them to the store reptiles/amphibians. This would be an ideal setup, but if this is going to be a one-time only thing, I would stick with the minimum stuff unless you have the fish food and watterbottle handy.

I tried adding a slice of potato to crickets several weeks ago and the potato got really moldy. What else seems to work? Any suggestions about what to feed the crickets that'll benefit the mantises?

Well, I'm not exactly sure what the daily nutrient intake for any particular species of praying mantis ought to be, but I think that using flaked tropical fish food with the crickets would be pretty good because it'll be higher in protein than potatoes and whatnot. As mantids are predators, I imagine that this would be better.

There is also cricket dust available as a calcium supplement for reptiles, but I don't think that the dust will have any benefit for the mantis (though I haven't seen anything conclusive about this either way).

I got some crickets earlier and settled for giving them cucumber. The crickets who found the cucumber seem to really like it.

I bought like 25-30 of them yesterday. Today, 4 are dead and they look kinda gross. Maybe that means I should keep them away from my mantises...

Also make sure you are looking at actual dead crickets too. Crickets go through incomplete metamorphasis like mantids do (I don't remember how many larval stages there are though). The husks will look kinda like dead crickets, but they will be extremly light and papery. Dead crickets dry up after a little while too, but its easy to mistake the discarded exoskeleton for a dead bug.

Hah, then its probably safe to say that they should not be fed to your mantids! Make sure you clean out the container you kept them in when they're gone.

The 1-2 dead cricket (my conservative rule of thumb) is for about a dozen crickets.

Nice healthy crickets are tannish. When they're not doing too well, if they're not dead or sluggish, their bodies look dark.

As for the PetCo crickets - I'm sure when they're shipped from the bug supplier, they're probably pretty healthy. I spoke to some PetCo employees who said sometimes they feed their crickets antibiotics and then feed them to their herps (??? I have herpy friends who have no idea why PetCo would do that). That practice apparently adversely affects the crickets.

I use a damp sponge (cheap 99cent store sponge. Some of the premium sponges are treated with chemicals), or damp paper towel (convenient as it's disposable) to administer water. I feed my crickets fish flakes (very cheap for a huge quantity if you find a pet store/feed store that sells it in bulk and supposedly very nutritious for gut loading).

Roz.

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't know that they feed their crickets antibiotics that'll kill the crickets. I guess that's not really a bad thing then.

Latest posts