Why does cricket use get a bad rap.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my cat is dilligent about catching any and all escapees. He demands I let at least one go every time I feed so he can chase it and pounce on it
My cat does that too! He's just so demanding.

I have gone 3 season raising numerous M Religiosa and split their diet between wild grasshoppers, flies, and moths late summer and early fall, then crickets during the winter. However I also toss lettuce, potato, Cheerios cereal and bananas into a chopper and feed the Crickets for 48 hours before I feed them to my mantids. I have never had a Mantid killed by a cricket. However one of my big females somehow managed to get wedged between a branch and her housing and the cricket in her housing ate a portion of her wing.

Crickets are pretty brutal which is why I only put one in a housing at a time. Crickets are so voracious that sailors used to dump crickets on boats that were infested with cockroaches and within a week the boat would be roach free.

Central Texas just had an explosion of Crickets and probably put a huge dent in the roach population.

The only bad rep usually comes from reptile keepers who do not take them out when their lizard is done.

For example, when i was eight i did not know much about my leopard gecko, and i never took the food out. The crickets took most of three fingers and nip of his tail.

Crickets can be vicious animals in the sense that they will nip at your animal, but you can not blame them since it is in their nature, rather, they should blame themselves for leaving them in the cage.

Also i used to raise crickets and they smell awful, well until i got springtails and those little black guys (worm like things) that sometimes come with crickets from pet stores. They cleaned up waste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts