Why does my Ghost keep doing this?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANTdrew

Reaction score
My male Phyllocrania paradoxa had his final molt about three weeks ago. He has been doing fine, but he keeps wedging himself in a corner of the planted terrarium I keep him in. I’ve found him stuck like this five or six times now. I help him out each time, but a day or so later I find him wedged in the same spot. He is kept at 75 F and fed houseflies and small dubia roaches.
What’s going on here?

Attachments

• 4604E62B-9D43-4687-9BD5-9BB2C05FC350.jpeg
    4604E62B-9D43-4687-9BD5-9BB2C05FC350.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
You might want to rearrange the enclosure so there's enough space between the plants and sides of the enclosure. If he's eating and acting normal when he's not stuck, he may just need more space. Does your terrarium have a mesh or screen cover? Most of the ghosts I've kept have always seemed to prefer hanging upside down. Just a thought.

He does seem to be literally stuck when I find him like this. There is an opening at the top of the enclosure with mesh. I'll try to trim back the plants a bit to see if that helps, but there are open areas for him to hang in. I'll post a photo of the setup later.

Came home to find him wedged in the spot AGAIN. Here is a photo of the setup.

Attachments

• 5101D6A6-ED79-4931-A711-5C36C0F7393B.jpeg
    5101D6A6-ED79-4931-A711-5C36C0F7393B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Male ghosts are the absolute skittish of the skittish once they hit adult. Paranoid little things. It’s not uncommon for these guys to go from one extreme of completely chill, to flipping over, playing dead, flying off only to flip over again and do their best stuck upside down turtle impression. In his mind now his priorities are: stay alive, drink water, stay alive, mate, don’t get eaten or draw too much attention to himself and MAYBE eat a fly someday. They(adult male ghosts) don’t eat an awful lot once adult but I find they almost always drink. I just let them do their thing. 75F is a good temp and only bump the temp and humidity up if I have a mate for them.
After all these years ghosts were my first and after all the species I’ve kept, they are perhaps still my favorite. A little late, and if you knew any of that then disregard but hope it helps.

Latest posts