why everything but not ants?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ants and Mantids don't mix well together. I caught a large adult female Hierodula and let it roam freely in the house. Next day the place where the Hierodula would usually hang out was like a murder scene. Its body parts were casually being carried away by a trail of ants. One single ant was 1/500 the size of that large Hierodula mind you!

Last edited by a moderator:
since that there are all kind of suggestion here, I tried it out myself, feeding two tiny red ants to bunch of young mantis I have here, result-only a few of them ate them(most likely cause by hunger), some hold on the ants and throw away, then showing some cleaning act(seems like the ants spray acid on them), some did not even bother about those ant

Assumption- They will eat those ant given the condition that they have no choice when they are starved

since that there are all kind of suggestion here, I tried it out myself, feeding two tiny red ants to bunch of young mantis I have here, result-only a few of them ate them(most likely cause by hunger), some hold on the ants and throw away, then showing some cleaning act(seems like the ants spray acid on them), some did not even bother about those antAssumption- They will eat those ant given the condition that they have no choice when they are starved
Interesting observation. What species of mantids?

Latest posts