Why not to use latin?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, in Poland there is a problem with one of the Sphodromantis species. One of the pet shops was selling an unidentified species, so they called it: 'sp. Tanzania'. Well, there is no track now to the source of the speciesas well as to the shop owner and it's hard to identify the species without knowing it's origin ... it just have to remain 'Sphodromantis sp. Tanzania', and we know that all mantids with this name are the offspring of a single couple.

Anyways it's interesting to watch the evolution of this species in captivity because of this name- there is no fresh blood because we don't know what species it isso the crossbreeding is the only possibility!

I prefer latin, although even that isn't always reliable

I've been told of people inventing latin names!

For some reason names are so much more complex with inverts than with other animals, with repltiles for example most people use common names as they almost always refer to one species, however people keep inventing knew names for inverts, lol

Indian Rose is now Wandering Violin

Thistle is Now Devils Flower (B.mendica)

and there, as other people have demostrated many examples of a common name applying to several species

On the otherhand P.wahlbergii and P.occelata are known as African Flowe, #9, target and a few others that evade me

Nomenclature is so confusing with inverts, lol

Then of course people misspell names which creates confusion, lol

Theres no easy solution, especially as scientific names often change as taxonomic revisions are undertaken

Recent example in reptiles is the genus Elaphe, I believe that has now been split into several seperate genii(is that right for plural of genus? lol)

Latest posts