Wide armed mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois15

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting wide armed mantids for a while now. I saw them once and thought they were just beautiful. I have been reading anything I find about them and this site has been really helpful, but I still have a few questions...

I have read that they are an aggresive species. Dose this mean that they tend to bite people?

How many babies can be expected to come from and ooth?

I have also read that they are hard to breed. Are they a good mantid for a kind of beginer? (I am currently raising chinese nymphs)

Are the conditions much different that the Chinese?

I just got 2 nymphs last week.1 has shed.They are not hard to keep :) but I do not know about breeding :( .I just mist them once every 1 or 2 days.Hope this helps!! :lol:

Aggressive usually means towards food, not people. No mantids are aggressive towards people. They are not hard to keep. If you are successful at raising chinese nymphs you could raise these. I did have some trouble breeding them.

Female I once had.

mantids360.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ok t hanks for the help everyone! Let me know if any of youguys have any for sale please!

Lois they are a little hard to breed, but it is usually because they are not ready to breed, otherwise they are fine, you can get a couple hundred from an ooth, I am over run with them when they hatch, and I always send free ones with an order because I can never take care of that many. As Rick said, they are not aggressive towards people. Mantis are a very gentle insect if not aggraviated. They only strike to protect themselves. And I agree they are a very beautiful species with their half saddle of wings. ;)

Mine were ready to breed age wise but neither of them would cooperate. I eventually got them to though.

I have to disagree completely on the aggression issue :p This is the only species that WILL try to eat you ;)

Adult females are always the same, touch them and they'll grab your finger. They seem to treat anything that moves as food. Obviously well fed females are less likely to attack, but they still have issues :D

DSC_00184.jpg

Oh :lol: I concure, but that is only because they figure movement of any kind, including their own frass

rolling around in the container to be food! Not mearly because they intend to attack you on purpose. :rolleyes:

Oh :lol: I concure, but that is only because they figure movement of any kind, including their own frass rolling around in the container to be food! Not mearly because they intend to attack you on purpose. :rolleyes:
But that's the whole point, they do intend to grab you ;) You just said that in the above statement :p

EDIT: just realised you were agreeing with me before :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking about getting wide armed mantids for a while now. I saw them once and thought they were just beautiful. I have been reading anything I find about them and this site has been really helpful, but I still have a few questions...I have read that they are an aggresive species. Dose this mean that they tend to bite people?

How many babies can be expected to come from and ooth?

I have also read that they are hard to breed. Are they a good mantid for a kind of beginer? (I am currently raising chinese nymphs)

Are the conditions much different that the Chinese?
They are not a very hard specsies to raise!

Latest posts