Wild bugs in Los Angeles?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
I'm wanting to move to Los Angeles in about 2-3 years. Someone just told me that there weren't a lot of bugs in SoCal. Is this true? Is it possible/easy to catch enough bugs there to feed pet mantids?

There are plenty of insects and other arthropods to be found in Southern California, and many of them are not found anywhere else. Most of the organisms endemic to California are very restricted in range.

It's uncommon to find things in abundance or great variety within the paved regions. You'll need to drive around and look for natural areas, parks, and gardens.

Be aware that unlike most of the country, California has a mediterranean climate and many things are very seasonal. I often find things in great abundance for a few weeks before they vanish for the rest of the year.

Can you not breed roaches or crickets? And maybe you can breed blue bottle flies.
I like to wild catch my food. It's fun and probably better for the mantids.

Plus, I'll almost certainly be renting, and I doubt they'd be too happy about a roach culture on their property.

My landlord in LA doesn't seem to care about my huge roach collection, lol.

In regards to species here, there are lots of latrodectus, a few jumpers, and a few interesting species of isopods and desert millipedes. I've also found 1 Scolopendra in Angeles National Forest.

Latest posts