Wild food!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenae

Reaction score
We took "Alex" when we went to visit my parents on Vancouver Island. (4rd instar Tenodera Sinensis) I spotted a beautiful green lacewing and captured it. We admired its beauty for a while, and then fed it to Alex. :stuart: He was startled when the thing fell into his habitat.... and fell all over himself trying to get away. (It was rather careless of me to drop it so close to the mantid) ANYway.... he sat on a stick and watched the lacewing walk in circuits around him on the wall of the enclosure. Then WHAM! He grabbed it an ate it! Best meal he has ever had! It was interesting to watch because he ate up the edge of one side of the lacewing's wings. I am wondering if one edge of a wing has tendons or muscle or something that contains protein. Any of you entomologists out there know the answer?

We were inspired by the experience. Now my 10 year old and I are keen to make pooters and go hunt up some more gourmet varieties for the mantids!

I am following the thread on what insects to avoid feeding.

It may have been going after the vein-y part of the wing for the juices. It must've just loved the new food item.
Ok ... so there are veins in the wings ..... that would make sense! So much to learn about insects. I am finding new fascination with them.

and yes .... The mantid LOVED the treat!

lacewing & crane flys are always taken quickly by my Ghosts....the crane flys tend to mopve more & get whacked sooner...I think they get bored with Blue bottles as they wait till i am not looking to eat them

Latest posts