Wild Mantis Mishap

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotherMantis

Reaction score
To make a long story short... About a week ago I spent nearly two hours untangling 28 newly hatched nymphs from their mass of tangled legs and strandy bits from their ooth that had been blown around in the 30 mph wind that day.

When I found them in the little tree, they must have been hanging there for hours as some had already chewed some of their own legs off to free themselves. I untangled them, placed them in their own cups, and fed them. 

They all can walk, climb, groom, and catch fruit flies on their own, but they're all either missing a whole leg, bits of leg, or they're deformed. (Only the back set) Would it be ok to release them now, or would it be best to wait for a molt? Has anyone ever seen this happen before??

If they can hang and catch food I would think they're good to go. 
Oh thank goodness. I love them, but it's been quite the challenge trying to keep up with all of them. I'm not sure how breeders and those that keep more than a few manage to do it  :lol:  

Its a trial for sure! I was nearly overwhelmed a couple times with my first hatch as I kept way too many of them. Nymphs are not even that bad as you can keep them in cheap little deli cups its just a lot of work to keep them fed and clean. It wasn't a crisis for me til I suddenly had 40+ adults that needed bigger habitats, then the scrambling truly began!

It's great you helped the poor little guys out, I'll be routing for their success in the great out of doors.

I just released my Chinese nymphs that hatched several days ago. Every time I would open the lid, several would get out. I fed them a couple of times...some ate and some didn't, but it was just too much pressure! I'm a new owner of 7 exotic nymphs so I want to give my attention to them at this point. I  figured it will be survival of the fittest in my garden. Hopefully, I will find a few young adults in a couple of months to keep. I usually do. It was quite overwhelming. I don't know how the breeders do it! 

When you have a large hatch it can be  overwhelming , some times you have to be a little mercenary and release some if they are naturalized such as the Tenoderas (Chinese)... in winter I had to battle it down to the fittest survivors . At L4 they are very agressive.... S