Will a enclousure that's a bit too large have a severe negative impact?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChitandChat

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm planning to order a ghost mantis from Panterra Pets eventually. However I've been holding off until I have all the supplies I need. I already purchased an Exo Terra Nano Tall (which is 8in x 8in x 12in / 20.3cm x 20.3cm x 30.5 cm) for when it reaches adult size (Panterra ships L3/L4 nymphs). I was planning to get deli cup/mason jar as a temporary enclosure until it grows up, however I was wondering if the Exo Terra would be okay even if it's quite big for a L3/L4 nymph? I still haven't quite wrapped my head around how small mantis nymphs can be to be frank.

It will be harder for the mantis to find its prey if it is in a larger container. Also, replace the wire mesh in the Exo Terra with a different mesh as wire can ruin a mantid's feet. 

- MantisGirl13

I like deli cups for small nymphs because I feel like there's too many molting hazards in a bigger terrarium. Also as MantisGirl said the little dude trying to catch fruit flies or house flies might be hard in a big container. I don't recommend it, but will it have a "severe negative impact" Probably not.

It will be harder for the mantis to find its prey if it is in a larger container. Also, replace the wire mesh in the Exo Terra with a different mesh as wire can ruin a mantid's feet. 

- MantisGirl13
Thank you for the response! I see. Where could I find a different mesh material and how would I go by installing it?

Thank you for the response! I see. Where could I find a different mesh material and how would I go by installing it?
You can use window screen or tulle fabric, both are very easy to obtain. 

Take out the wire mesh and hot glue in the new mesh. 

- MantisGirl13 

There isn't such a thing as too large outside of the fact your mantis can have problems finding its food (depending on what you are feeding) You can feed your mantis with tongs or in a separate container to avoid this issue.

For reference, I have a 36” x 18” x 36” Exo Terrra tank and I start letting my mantises have the run of it as soon as they are an inch or so in length. Like others suggested, I highly suggest removing the screen and putting in some sort of fabric mesh.