will hey stil hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pewarchuk

Reaction score
so i bought ootheca of chinese mantids almost 3 weeks ago, and no one told me that i had to mist them or t check the humidity

is there a chance of them still hatching

Ill just say this, i had an S. Limbata Ootheca that i NEVER sprayed, never worried about light or heat and just put it in a corner, 3-5 months later i had literally 100's oozing out and never sprayed the nymphs until they became the adults, the only species that is critical to spray are thee exotic species.

Ill just say this, i had an S. Limbata Ootheca that i NEVER sprayed, never worried about light or heat and just put it in a corner, 3-5 months later i had literally 100's oozing out and never sprayed the nymphs until they became the adults, the only species that is critical to spray are thee exotic species.
You never sprayed the nymphs!? Why not? :eek: I've never raised S. Limbata, but I think T. Sinensis nymphs might require a higher humidity.

Anyways, yeah your ooth should still hatch. Chinese ooths don't need much care. You can mist it if you want, just to be on the safe side, but it will probably still hatch if you don't. ;)

yeah mine where different and i kept it in a poorly ventilated all glass cage, so im sure it was really cold which slowed down the growing/hactching proccess. At least thats what i was told. Thanks for elaborating becky #346345632321 on this forum lol =D

My first mantids were chinese that I bought as ooths from the store. I never sprayed them and they hatched. And considering that I live in a dry desert, I'm guessing humidity shouldn't dramatically affect your mantids. And btw, the hatch rates were still large (as it should be).

another question , its been 3 weeks know and still no mantids, but i have noticed a 3 small holes in the egg sac thing, so does that mean that they have already hatched and died or what

another question , its been 3 weeks know and still no mantids, but i have noticed a 3 small holes in the egg sac thing, so does that mean that they have already hatched and died or what
The holes may have already been there previously and you did not notice them. Lots of ooths commonly have a texture that appears to have holes; and this does not necessarily indicate the ooth has already hatched (although holes can be caused from hatching too, of course).

I wouldn't worry about it, keep misting a few times a week, and try to be patient. Chinese ooths can take longer to hatch than most tropical-only ooths. Do some research on this species (and mantids in general) to keep you busy and better prepared for the event while you are waiting! ;)

Latest posts