Will I EVER learn?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I am generally very careful what I feed my mantids - particularly youngsters.  Thus, almost always stick closely to the tried-and-true: Drosophila melanogasters, / Hydei, houseflies, damselflies (yum), etc., for L2 - L4.  I learned (through numerous trials and ::errors::) that caterpillars, or any critter resembling the behavior (or even appearance) of caterpillars were a bad (sometimes very bad) idea for mantis food.  So what did I do today?  Tried a sawfly larva ( Tenthredinoidea superfamily) as a snack for my L3 female T. sinensis, "Jet."  She took a few eager bites then threw the larva down and wiped her mouth on the container (common practice for YECH !).  Even though the food was not a caterpillar (adult looks like a miniature wasp), I should have known better.  Yes - there are many insect larva that are perfectly safe for mantis snacks (like fruit flies) - but this little green monster was untested or researched.  Poor Jet.  She's not speaking to me, thinking I tried to poison her.  I told her it was Castor Oil.  Picture of the larve below.  This particular subset is nicknamed "Rose Slug," as they attack rose bush leaves (from whence I retrieved two of them.

Rose_Slugs315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my....this made me laugh, poor thing! I hope Jet recovered and is not mad at you anymore.   :p

Denise 

A friend of mine tried to give a slug to her mantis once. The poor girl grabbed it then instantly was like GET IT OFF! EW EW EW! trying to flick it off her raptorial. They can be such hilarious little drama queens :D  

Many sawfly species have larvae that are very colorful to warn predators that they are either distasteful or poisonous to eat. They'll often strike a pose with their little butts hanging off into the air to look more intimidating when threatened.

Last edited by a moderator:
@spotsy99  Yes, Jet has forgotten the incident, because, since that lousy experience, she's been fed fat crickets (gut loaded on gourmet dinners) and plump, juicy house and now - blue bottle flies.  Not to mention an occasional wild-caught moth.

@Ranitomeya  Thank you for that reminder. Exactly! If it's colorful (particularly larvae and caterpillars --- think  Malacosoma americanum or the American Tent Caterpillar) stay very clear of the feeder menu.  BTW, your profile shows and interest in sci fi movies.  I've played a game for years asking fellow enthusiasts their top 10 picks (all time).  What's your top 3?

Eastern_tent_caterpillar_on_bark_-_single_-_USFS.jpg

Unfortunately, not all insects advertise their distastefulness or poisonous content because there is always something capable of feeding on them without any side effects. Those prey items tend to double up by having cryptic colorations and patterns to try to hide as a first defense.

Jurassic Park, Alien, and Congo.

Latest posts