Wingrot?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MortBird

Reaction score
I've had my girl Sasha for a little over a week now. She is a wild-caught European mantis, I don't know how old she is, but we she's very big and now is the time of year when mantids start dying. We assume she's close to the end of her life.

I've noticed that her wings seem to be deteriorating, like a leaf being eaten up by it's own rot. Her wings were already jacked when we first found her, but they seem to be getting worse. It's going from the tips upwards, following a black line where the most recent rot has been. They've continued to tear a bit on the ends, but it's more like scrubbing the shine off of a moth's wings- the green is coming off and leaving her wing covers clear. Also, one of her cercus one day became bent in an odd position, turned black, and fell off at the crease. She doesn't seem bothered by any of this, but I wanna know the cause, and if it is a symptom of anything serious.

Attachments

• IMG_20221107_133232.jpg
    IMG_20221107_133232.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221107_133255.jpg
    IMG_20221107_133255.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts