Wings not formed properly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlJohnson

Reaction score
After moulting one of my mantids wings are useless. Only one outer wing is close to looking decent. The other is severely shriveled. The wings underneath aren't any better.

He's having problems getting around due to the wings hanging off his side rather than on his back. One hind leg obviously didn't come out of the old skin as long as the others and he can't use it to hold on. Along with the wing problems it makes it almost impossible to hang onto something and grab a bug. It's only a matter of time at this rate before he'll starve to death.

Tried hand feeding him and so far no luck. Is it worth clipping the wings off to see if he can stabilize himself while hanging upside down? Hate to let him just expire without trying to do something to help.

I have trimmed wings in that situation before.

do you trim them from the base or are there blood vessels or vein low down like if you cut a dogs nail too low it bleed a lot possibly to death i think i heard

hence trimmming them half way up or so ?

Trimming any part of the wing isnt really risky once its dried, but half way down would be fine and you'd certainly avoid any accidents, just be careful and dont do anything obviously dangerous, prevention being better than cure :)

Best wishes

Dave

I don't think it's risky since it's kinda like trimming your fingernails. Just don't cut them right where they attach to the body. Only cut as much as is needed.

Latest posts