Winter / Cold???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvernon

Reaction score
How well are mantids able to handle cold? I started my mantis hobby last summer so have never went through cold times with my guys. I don't generally heat my house that much. I'll try to keep it above 50 degrees most of the time, but at night I just use more blankets so it could drop below that. I have been out of work for a long while, and now will be starting a night job, so I probly won't run heat while I'm at work. I don't have a lot of disposable money, so I'm frugal about heating expenses.

If I need to I could put them in an empty closet and heat that.

Thanks

PS. I have miomantises, and ghost mantises.

Oh my! Memories of winter in the south of England as a kid. You could stand in front of a roaring fire that would roast your front while your butt was still freezing!

50F "or lower" is way too cold for tropical mantids or even natives, come to that. Try a 100watt light bulb in the closet and check the temp before putting the mantids in. Cover their enclosures at night to give them the illusion of day and night. Let us know how this works out.

Oh my! Memories of winter in the south of England as a kid. You could stand in front of a roaring fire that would roast your front while your butt was still freezing!

50F "or lower" is way too cold for tropical mantids or even natives, come to that. Try a 100watt light bulb in the closet and check the temp before putting the mantids in. Cover their enclosures at night to give them the illusion of day and night. Let us know how this works out.
I have a heater and a thermostat. I can set the temp for the closet and run a fan in there to homogenize the air. I guess 70F would be good? I can use a timer to turn on a light.

Thanks

Latest posts