Won't eat, shriveled abdomen, legs not working

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herpderp

Reaction score
Hi all. I received a new sheild mantis around L2 yesterday. He seemed fine, immediately drank water and went to hang out on a plant. This morning he was on the bottom of the tank with a leg missing and the others won't work except for his front legs. His abdomen looks shriveled, and he won't eat or drink. Advice? Is he save able?

20170924_112103.jpg

Hmmm... I have never seen this before. I would try and hand feed him fruitflies or honey... this is why I stay away from buying too young of mantis.

I've been trying with the fruit flies. At first he wasn't interested, now he tries with his front legs but is too weak. How do you feed them honey?

Take a toothpick. Put a small dab on one end and hold it to their mouth... it's a little difficult with small mantis but it's possible.

Very strange, but actually I think this same thing happened to some Chinese mantises that hatched early this Spring. Some of the nymphs would just be on the bottom of the cage with their legs up in the air, or something and almost as if they were paralyzed or too weak to move. It was very weird. I think it was possibly poor genes or they didn't develop right or maybe they were contaminated with some kind of poison (which is very doubtful it was poison). Its possible your case is different and it could be some kind of bacterial infection has infected your little guy. And sadly I am not certain your little guy is able to be saved, but I wouldn't give up hope on him. Try feeding honey like Conner said.

I tried the honey, but at that point he was just too weak, he's gone now :( Thanks for the advice though!

Sorry to hear man... most likely it was not your fault... just a nymph from a bad hatch

Tell us about your plant. How long have you had it? Where did you get it? It may be the source of any poisons.

Tell us about your plant. How long have you had it? Where did you get it? It may be the source of any poisons.
I thought about that too, the plant came from a local shop. They'd had it around a month from what I could gather and hadn't treated it (unless they mix a pesticide in with their water but I don't think that is likely?). I had it for about two weeks and it had been washed before introducing to the viv.

Am sorry to hear he dudnt make it. One of my adult chinese mantises just molted to the wing stage yesterday...tonight he was upside down and hos legs werent right. I fed him cricket guts then honey. He seems better but just not right and pulls himself around with his front legs. The other three adults seem fone and the not yet adult seems fine. Not sure what is wrong but it is heartbreaking.

Am sorry to hear he dudnt make it. One of my adult chinese mantises just molted to the wing stage yesterday...tonight he was upside down and hos legs werent right. I fed him cricket guts then honey. He seems better but just not right and pulls himself around with his front legs. The other three adults seem fone and the not yet adult seems fine. Not sure what is wrong but it is heartbreaking.
I am so sorry to hear that!!! It is heart breaking, and frustrating not being able to do anything to help them :'( I hope his condition improves! 

Latest posts