World's Record Orchid Ooth!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar experience...... all the best to your orchid ooth.

femaleooth4.jpg

Wow, looks like orchids are capable of huge ooths. How many nymphs did that one yield Yen?

Also, I noticed Brian differentiates between captive and wild caught ooths and claims there are different hatch rates. This is the first I've heard of this, do the rest of you agree?

Usually orchid ooth hatch early in the morning, 7AM - 9 AM is the prime time..... :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
Interesting and good to know!

Sadly, it also means I might not ever see an orchid ooth hatch. I don't have kids and I'm in the software industry, my kind doesn't often stir before 10am. :sleeping:

I'm on the same sleep schedule. Hopefully my mantis sense tingles and wakes me. That's how it usually goes.
Hahah! Isn't 2-4am a great time to observe molts?! :devil:

Seriously, somewhere after L3/L4 I think I am able to witness about ~75%+ of my molts due to often being up very late.

Hahah! Isn't 2-4am a great time to observe molts?! :devil:

Seriously, somewhere after L3/L4 I think I am able to witness about ~75%+ of my molts due to often being up very late.
Yeah, it's true. I catch many molts because I'm up so late. Oddly enough I also catch early morning molts because I just happen to wake up as it's starting. I've had pretty good luck all around. Helps to live like a hermit too.

Purposely I am not posting a pic of my Orchid ooth in respect for the deceased female who laid it. It is very ugly and medium to dark brown. She laid it on the lid of her Monarch net cage and it is not flat. I do not expect much from it. It is now two weeks in incubation. I was expecting the sister to lay her ooth any day now, but she is not eating presently and has not for several days but acts fine. She just seems to want to bask in the warmest part of the cage and ignore all the BBs that are in abundance. Henry, your ooth and Yen's and for that matter one not posted here, T.W's are all awesome. Good luck dude. Congrats to Yen on the nice hatch. Let us know when you get a count of the number hatched and if you don't mind, the length of the ooth. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Purposely I am not posting a pic of my Orchid ooth in respect for the deceased female who laid it. It is very ugly and medium to dark brown. She laid it on the lid of her Monarch net cage and it is not flat. I do not expect much from it. It is now two weeks in incubation. I was expecting the sister to lay her ooth any day now, but she is not eating presently and has not for several days but acts fine. She just seems to want to bask in the warmest part of the cage and ignore all the BBs that are in abundance. Henry, your ooth and Yen's and for that matter one not posted here, T.W's are all awesome. Good luck dude. Congrats to Yen on the nice hatch. Let us know when you get a count of the number hatched and if you don't mind, the length of the ooth. Thanks!
Both my girls didn't eat for over a week before laying an ooth. They were restless, climbing around a lot, looking for both a mate and the perfect place to lay. After I re-mated the first female she laid this ooth 3 days later and immediately started to eat again. So don't worry too much that she's not eating. That's normal.

Thanks Henry. You are a jewel to reply to me and set me at ease. I am taking off for the holiday to visit my ailing sister and to share dinner and some visiting. I do not think that it is practical for me to take the Orchid with me, but I might. I have been trying every trick in the book to get her to take in come calories. A few laps of honey here and some meal worm juice is about all she has had for more than four or five days. She was eating bees and crickets when BBs were scarce. Now the BBs are crawling her to lick the honey off her raptorials. When she is hungry they are gonners. I realy wish you well on your ooth. You and Tammy and I are for sure on pins and needles about the Orchids. I have not had anything going on with Idolos yet. Keep the faith, you are one of the best.

Thanks Henry. You are a jewel to reply to me and set me at ease.
Don't sweat it. She'll eat when she's ready. If she's nice and fat she stopped for the same reasons mine did. The one that laid is back up to 15-20 BBs a day. :blink:

Henry: I sure hope you are right. The last time I saw her eat, she was knocking down bees left and right. Then the hugest gut loaded cricket. I know she was getting good nutrition. Now I feel like I would rather fast on Thanksgiving than to see her go without one more day's food.

Rich

Have a good T-Day :cowboy:

Henry: I sure hope you are right. The last time I saw her eat, she was knocking down bees left and right. Then the hugest gut loaded cricket. I know she was getting good nutrition. Now I feel like I would rather fast on Thanksgiving than to see her go without one more day's food.
Thanksgiving is the worst time for a hunger strike! What is that girl thinking???

Big one for sure. Mine always seemed to lay them on the glass too.

Latest posts