Would 2 S. Carolina fight in same cage?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowChild

Reaction score
i have found another female adult on my porch and would it fight the other female if i pyut them together?

I don't have any experience with the species, but I can say that they might fight. Also, if there isn't enough food, one of them will try to eat the other. The best thing is to let them have their own container.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really fight but there may be some issues. They would be stressed I am sure and one may even be eaten. Best to keep them apart.

Thats a good answer Rick, they probably would get stressed out, I have some humbrella (spelling no right) together, 4 females and they actually fight, now after a month down to three, one got ate or something, actually she was dead and I dont remember any pieces missing on her, so dead nonetheless. And I notice they are stressed when together, I seperated them, but then they were not eating and I figured to put them back together, cause at least they ate when together.

I have never tried the same container, but my female Carolinas don't even like their enclosures to be next to each other. I have put up paper dividers. I have a couple of them that are just very upset over the presence of the other mantid, even next door. I'd go with separate containers to be on the safe side.

Rebecca

I have never tried the same container, but my female Carolinas don't even like their enclosures to be next to each other. I have put up paper dividers. I have a couple of them that are just very upset over the presence of the other mantid, even next door. I'd go with separate containers to be on the safe side.Rebecca
I really like the idea of putting up opaque dividers. I suspect that one of the things that we do wrong when keeping mantids is to stress them out unnecessarily by keeping them where they can see each other without being able to attack/run away. I think that all those cutely swaying ghosts are seriously pissed off at each other!

Mantids can be territorial. I have whitnessed on a few ocassions wild chinese females squaring off over some real nice goldenrod realestate. Some of those unexplained deaths can probally be chalked up to stress as well. I would not put those two carolina's together. One of them is bound to get killed.

Latest posts