Would you leave your mantid in a plant over night?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon

Reaction score
So, my unmated Hierodula is 54 days old and her abdomen is huge.  Every day I search for answers about when to expect her first ooth (my Budwing who is the same age has layed two!)  So, today I put her in a large Xmas cactus to change her surroundings and after climbing around a bit, she settled inside it this evening.  Now she really doesn't want to come out (kind of like a two year-old who doesn't want to go to bed.

Do any of you who let your mantids roam on plants let them stay there over night? It's in my bug room and all the vents are covered with organza so I don't think I would lose her so I'm seriously thinking of leaving her be and maybe she'll get busy.

Also, have you noticed what time of day your mantids lay ooths? (My Budwing's ooths were done before I went upstairs to feed them in the morning so she  layed hers very early in the day.  They weren't wet, but she was still guarding them and had bits on her tail end.)

Thanks for your suggestions.

If I had my own dedicated bug room then yes. Since my mantises share my room I tend to worry too much about them getting lost in the shuffle. Instead I've gotten several large net cages that I can slide my plants into so they don't have to get off at bedtime but I still know they are protected.

I had the same problem with one of my mantis... she was taking forever to lay her ooth after being bred. I was so worried she was going to get ooth bound.  I decided to make her up a new enclosure.. I moved her into it and 2 days later she laid her ooth.. I guess she liked her new home better.. LOL

I also do what Krissim does... I have many spare nets for changing of environment or feedings

Thank you both for your experiences.  I did leave her in the plant for 48 hours (the plant is very thick and I just couldn't get her to move out so I could grab her)---but still no ooth.  I finally coaxed her out of it this morning but after hearing from you two, I'm putting her back.  I'll just move the plant to my bug table where it is warmer.  She seemed really happy there and didn't wander to any adjacent plants but she did a lot of exploring inside it!

:eek:fftopic: I know this shouldn't be posted here but I just looked at my community Popa spurca tank and the scene made me laugh.  My 26 day-old female is being stalked by an eight day-old male.  Up until today, he had been hanging in the lower twigs.  Now he has climbed up where he is directly two inches below her and not taking his eyes off her.  She's just stretched out under the top screen and I can't see how he'll reach her (unless he can do a vertical helicopter flight. Maybe he'll figure it out in a few days.

I have to admit the Popa spurcas have been much more entertaining in a community tank.

Sure. It can be useful if you have one that seems to be late in making an ooth. Just keep in mind that sometimes they do wander. I would not keep one out overnight if you have other pets such as cats. 

Introvertebrate,  Mr. Popa spurca was saved when she moved to the other end of the tank.  A couple of days ago, another female molted to adult, so in time he may get to one (or vice versa).

Rick, the room is safe and closed off from my other animals.  There's a bigger issue (literally) today.  Her minor anal prolapse shot out before my eyes this morning and she looks like she has a green jelly belly dangling.  She seems oblivious, just grooming her arms and lapping water off leaves, but I have the ziploc on standby.  I know I started a thread on her so I'll try to post a pic there.

The thread is "Help, what is my mated girl oozing." It's in the Breeding section.

(It's always the ones you like the best...)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's to put Jasmine in the freezer and wish her a better life in bug heaven.  I haven't done it yet because a couple of other forum followers on the other thread (Help, what is my mated girl oozing?---yeah, this is my second one) had mantids that their prolapses self-corrected.  Jasmine is honestly so sweet---she has just traveled around the plant so she's looking at me. She took water and honey this morning but honestly I can't imagine this prolapse (photo on other thread) will go away.  So, we're communing for a few days to see how she does.

On a happier note, I finally got to see an ooth produced!  My Dbl shield was busy at work on a huge ooth this morning so I watched the last 1/4 being built.  I'm so impressed that they do this without looking!  She used those little cerci like hands just patting everything in place and it is beautiful.  It was fascinating. (It is infertile as I chose not to mate her---at this point, I'd rather buy nymphs ^_^