Wow, I feel like I won the praying mantis jackpot!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
I last took care of a pregnant praying mantis that I rescued in the garage one autumn, lost and sad, and I took her in. She lived on my houseplant, I fed her crickets and I never had to give her an enclosure because she would always stay on the tree. And when I got back from school she would climb on my arm and wave her arms like saying hi. She laid a lot of eggs, which I put outside in the woods, and she died in December. That was the last time I had any contact with praying mantises. 6 years ago. For 6 years I didnt find anything! I would take walks in the woods just to find a mantid, but nope, no such luck.

I live in Virginia and I now work in a very well developed place. Just outside of my office building is a garden bed with coleus and some shrubs. I saw a twig-like thing on the leaves. I did not have hopes up because for the last 6 years, every time I saw a twig-like thing, it always turned out to be a twig. Lo and behold, it was a 3" praying mantis. I looked around and there were two other 4" ones, and a huge 5-6" one. I think it's a "she" because she has a rounder abdomen. She twisted her head around when I came close, and looked at me.Later when I was leaving for work, that giant mantis was still there, eating a huge bumble bee.

I wonder, is it generally difficult (or rare) to find mantises outside? Or was I having bad luck until today? Are there particular habitats that they prefer? I would've expected to find mantises in the woods or overgrown area, not some well-trimmed garden bed.

I left the mantises be because they seem happy and don't need any rescuing. However I worry if the landscaping company might dig up the coleus bushes in the winter, along with any eggs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. You have to look in the right places. Woods are probably one of the worst places to look. You want to look in weedy, overgrown areas. If you walk into the weeds and see a lot of grasshoppers and other insects you know you're in a good place. It also helps to have a trained eye.

Woods aren't very good since wild mantis like to sun themselves for part of the day, they like garden beds where bee's and flies go for the pollen and nectar.

No crime in taking a ooth or 2(don't take them all) and tying it to a tree/shrub at your place to get to see them again in spring... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts