• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: Eastern Lubbers, Horse Lubbers, Plains Lubbers

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCapricorn

Reaction score
If anyone here lives in Florida and encounters large numbers of Eastern Lubbers, I'd love to hear from you!

I would also love to hear from you if you live in an area out west (such as Arizona) that has lots of Plains Lubbers or Horse Lubbers.

Eastern Lubber grasshoppers are large lazy hoppers from the South-East United States. They typically come in bright orange or yellow colors with black stripes. As nymphs they are all black with bright red/yellow/orange stripes, sometimes they retain this coloration as adults.

Plains Lubbers live out west, in areas such as Oklahoma, Arizona, etc., - as do Horse Lubbers (though these are further west). Both are large, stocky grasshoppers. The Plains Lubbers have thick legs and tiny wings, sometimes it looks like two ladybugs are riding on its back. They can be a bright green with red, blue and gray. The Horse Lubbers have large wings and a black coloration with yellow stripes.

I am most interested in Eastern Lubbers because I know how docile they are and I've kept them before. Some videos I've seen of the Plains Lubber grasshopper seem to indicate that it is sometimes cannibalistic and it's quite jumpy. They'd still be an intriguing insect pet and I'd imagine they wouldn't be too much trouble if they tend to hop. The Horse Lubbers seem to like it really hot and dry, so I'm uncertain as to how well they would do in captivity without a heat lamp (since I don't have one).

I miss having Eastern Lubbers and was hoping to find some when I went down to Florida ( in the north-west panhandle region) last week. I had no luck, but I'm not giving up so soon!

Latest posts