• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: Males of P. wahlbergii or maybe H. multispina

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCapricorn

Reaction score
So, I am currently in possession of three species that I enjoy so much I would like to try breeding them. One I have a male for, and will try to mate with a female soon - Deroplatys lobata. Wish me luck on this one :p

I have three P. wahlbergii. One has been adult for a little over a week. Not long enough for her to be mated, but I tried a few days ago with the only male I had, Capri, who had been adult for a much longer time. That night I found him close to passing and decided to make his last moments comfortable. The other two wahlbergiis I have are sub-adult female, one is very close to molting if she hasn't started already. For males of this species, I want those who aren't too close to molting to adult, or have been adult for at most two weeks. I may want to try to get more than one as well.

Now, I also have Hierodula multispina, I think IGN 200. Both are adult females and have been adult for well over a month now. I would like to try to find a companion for them if males for P. wahlbergii aren't available. I have a feeling that this species won't be as easy to acquire males of though since it seems P. wahlbergiis are very common in the trade. However, I witnessed what I think was "calling" for the first time, a distinct behavior I never saw in person before. If I hadn't seen this I may never have considered trying to mate these girls because of how mischievous, active and aggressive they are (but on the flip side they both can be very sweet and love jumping on my face! ^_^ )

US only. I want to know first what is available out there. I might then make my decision based on what is available and what species would be easier to breed. I may do one and not both, and I'm leaning toward P. wahlbergii, but I might have a change of heart and try both species.

Lastly, anyone that does have what I am looking for, I would also be curious to know what else you have available. I only have two baby mantises left - soon one as long as Daisy molts correctly. All my other mantises are adult. I am down to "only" five species. I may want a species that gets a decent size, that is easy to care for, and is currently quite young so by the time they reach adult hood, the adult mantises I have now would be long gone and the containers they occupy would be free for the next generation.

EDIT: As I have had an apparently successful mating of my D. lobata pair, I will focus on this species instead of trying to breed any of the others. I appreciate any offers but I will no longer be needing males of the other species.

Last edited by a moderator: