Yeast for ff culture

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
When mixing medium for a fruitfly culture, does the yeast have to be brewers yeast or will regular baking yeast work as well? Also how much should be added?

I use active dry yeast. I use a pinch. A large pinch for 32 oz cultures.

My husband went to the store to get groceries, and I instructed him to get me some dry baker's yeast. He came back with the "quick-acting" kind. I grumbled about not saying anything about getting "quick-acting." But it doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference in the cultures, as opposed to the regular dry baking yeast. So it works... but despite the name, it doesn't seem to make the cultures produce any faster. :lol:

I use both, the brewers yeast heats up the culture and they sprout fast!
Maybe you and I are the only two who do that, Rebecca! The brewers' yeast is a great source if thiamin and I tend to find that when I use it (often I forget!) my ffs are more muscular and their skin has a healthy glow.

I did buy some Brewer's yeast when I got my last batch of honey from the organic health food store. I've added some to my ff cultures the last 2 batches, but haven't really noticed much of a difference yet. :) Truthfully, I haven't really been intensely inspecting them or looking for differences though either!

Latest posts