you know you like mantids when...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha! This is hilarious and true. Um okay: You know you like mantids when...

...ever your arm or leg hurts, you wish you could molt and gain a new one.

You know you like mantids when...

...you're driving on a highway and you constantly look over at the weeds and fields off the road.

is it weird that i just woke up from a dream where me and my friends were riding giant mantises into a war against phasmids i think they are called? Incase you guys were wodering my mantis was a cross betwwen a idolo and a dragon :lol:

is it weird that i just woke up from a dream where me and my friends were riding giant mantises into a war against phasmids i think they are called? Incase you guys were wodering my mantis was a cross betwwen a idolo and a dragon :lol:
:lol: cool dream!

you know ... when you're late, misses is telling you to get the F ready, and still have a quick check on the forums, cause an idea sprang to mind :lol:

when you switch off the fan in 30 C / 86 F with high humidity....as the mantises don't like it...
A couple weeks ago there was a HUGE heat dome in the US (You might have heard of it outside the US), and it lasted for like two and a half weeks here. Our AC went out during the first week, and temps in my ghost enclosure went up to like 100 degrees Farenheit, so I had a small, low powered fan going by my ghost cage until the AC was fixed, and that seemed to keep it down to the mid 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've been known to talk to the mantids. Yesterday I cleaned out a a cube of Oxyopsis and accidentally disturbed the last one to molt. I helped him with his old skin and told him straight up that I would pamper him until this morning, but after that he was on his own.He was fine this morning and I don't think that that was a coincidence.

But since I am old and live alone, I do try to monitor these things and checked with my psychiatrist. He says that there is no more harm in talking with your mantids than with your dog. and he asked me if the mantids ever talked back. I said very seldom (I wonder what they say on New World, Amberly?! "Claws! Claws!"). He said that that was OK too, but that if i ever started arguing with them I should check in for a possible increase in my medication. A word to the wise! :p

Yeah, I've been known to talk to the mantids. Yesterday I cleaned out a a cube of Oxyopsis and accidentally disturbed the last one to molt. I helped him with his old skin and told him straight up that I would pamper him until this morning, but after that he was on his own.He was fine this morning and I don't think that that was a coincidence.

But since I am old and live alone, I do try to monitor these things and checked with my psychiatrist. He says that there is no more harm in talking with your mantids than with your dog. and he asked me if the mantids ever talked back. I said very seldom (I wonder what they say on New World, Amberly?! "Claws! Claws!"). He said that that was OK too, but that if i ever started arguing with them I should check in for a possible increase in my medication. A word to the wise! :p
if you argue with a male mantis, you may win, but a female.... :lol: :lol:

you know you love mantises when you crawl out a window at school in 5th grade to catch a male chinese mantis

and as your mom lectures you about not crawling out windows you think "too bad I didn't have a container to put him in"

You know you're totally ADDICTED to mantids, when:

1) You begin referring to your children's age by "L2, L3, L5..."

2) You research how to raise the most disgusting & annoying creatures, just to feed your addictions.

3) You lose count of exactly how many species you have/have had.

4) You start fantasizing about your spouse/significant other with raptorial arms...and shuddering.

5) You inadvertently let slip to some very un-understanding relatives that you BREED roaches in your house, and then try to quickly cover that up by saying, "but it's to feed the mantises!" :blink: (Bonus points if you can covertly stomp a stray roach & not have them notice while they're there.)

6) You can't go on vacation, because you can't bear the thought of "who will take care of my bugs?"

7) Even your most understanding friends & relatives call you "weird", so you have to find new friends, at specialty forums online. :p

8) You're waiting for a large tax/bonus check and already "window shopping" for your next mantids...calculating the your order to get the most bang for your buck.

9) You begin wearing mantis jewelry & start up conversations with cashiers about mantises, just to "feel them out" for a potential fellow mantis enthusiast.

10) You read any or all of these and, rather than laugh, you think "Gosh, I can say 'yep, done it!' to almost all of them!"

*Bonus Points* You know you're totally addicted to mantids when....YOU START A BUSINESS JUST TO SUPPORT YOUR HABIT (and to give a plausible reason as to why you have so many!) :whistling:

:clap:

-Carey Kurtz-

www.mantispets.com

You know you're totally ADDICTED to mantids, when:

1) You begin referring to your children's age by "L2, L3, L5..."

2) You research how to raise the most disgusting & annoying creatures, just to feed your addictions.

3) You lose count of exactly how many species you have/have had.

4) You start fantasizing about your spouse/significant other with raptorial arms...and shuddering.

5) You inadvertently let slip to some very un-understanding relatives that you BREED roaches in your house, and then try to quickly cover that up by saying, "but it's to feed the mantises!" :blink: (Bonus points if you can covertly stomp a stray roach & not have them notice while they're there.)

6) You can't go on vacation, because you can't bear the thought of "who will take care of my bugs?"

7) Even your most understanding friends & relatives call you "weird", so you have to find new friends, at specialty forums online. :p

8) You're waiting for a large tax/bonus check and already "window shopping" for your next mantids...calculating the your order to get the most bang for your buck.

9) You begin wearing mantis jewelry & start up conversations with cashiers about mantises, just to "feel them out" for a potential fellow mantis enthusiast.

10) You read any or all of these and, rather than laugh, you think "Gosh, I can say 'yep, done it!' to almost all of them!"

*Bonus Points* You know you're totally addicted to mantids when....YOU START A BUSINESS JUST TO SUPPORT YOUR HABIT (and to give a plausible reason as to why you have so many!) :whistling:

:clap:

-Carey Kurtz-

www.mantispets.com
I'm totally #2, DEFINITELY #6, and the last half of #9. :lol:

...you refuse to kill any insect because you see it as "potential food" (no, not for you :lol: ).

...you see an insect outside and you think to yourself (or even say out loud), I wonder if *insert name of mantis here* would like to eat that?

Latest posts