....it flew away...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Mantid

Reaction score
My male flew away, i didn't know they were such good flyers. I thought they were flew more like a grasshopper, short leaps. I went outside to feed it when it was in its cage, and as I was transfering the bug to its cage and....and it just flew away. :( Im so pissed.

I think i might let the females so they can atleast have a better chance of breeding.

Anyone else would like to share their "oh no" moments like this?

Dohhh!

My male acromantis can fly very good but I keep him in the apartment!

Better hang on to the females! Trade them off.

No releasing those exotics. ;)

Dohhh!

My male acromantis can fly very good but I keep him in the apartment!

Better hang on to the females! Trade them off.

No releasing those exotics. ;)
it was a chinese, I wouldn't release an exotic.

Woop! Simple mistake.. you can see how I could come to this conclusion.

My apologies.
i would of also thought it was an orchid he was talking about... but until humans get physic powers and automatically know that the post writer was talking about a Chinese seeming he never mentioned what it was we shouldnt assume :D

Woop! Simple mistake.. you can see how I could come to this conclusion.

My apologies.
no prob, yeah i had 2 creos, 2 orchid mantids, and Chinese mantids. After he flew away, i pretty much decided that I should be done with mantids for this season. I think this is going to be a seasonal hobby for me; My house gets cold, plus there wont be no bugs around to feed them and money is more tight in winter. Im selling my orchids in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Nick

yeah its wearing off, but man i was in shock! It was a bitter sweet moment, seeing a big bug like that fly off was cool, but it sunk in that i paid 30 bucks for shipping only to have it fly off the next day later... grrr...

mr mantis my house is ALWAYS cold :angry: lol the joys of living in ireland :lol: dont give up , im sure someone here will donate you a male

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Chinese mantises in large numbers where I live. They are very common around here.

I once found a male European mantis. These bugs are good fliers, even better than Chinese since they are larger and quicker. The one I had, I took pictures of it and it then flew away... all the way to the other side of my yard to the top of a really tall tree.

With wild male Chinese mantises sometimes I like to let them fly and run along side of them to try to get a video. They can fly for quite a while, but their size means they fly quite slow.

This is why adult males are never allowed outside for photos. They are decent flyers. :D

Yeah, males are pretty good flyers. You really have to know what you're doing if you want to put your male mantid outside.

Yep, when I want to see a mantis fly, I let them do it in my room, door closed. What sucks is that, if only that male knew he had some female to spread his seed, he wouldn't have left.

With as clumsy as the Chinese are they do make surprisingly great fliers, especially if there is a wind to catch their wings. I had one that I used to stick on my hand and raise it up in the air like a falconer and it would flutter off for my amusement.

I did have one oops moment with flying involved. It was with my boy, unicorn who went by the name Nubs. I was sitting on the floor taking something out of his cage and he thought it would be fun to abruptly launch himself out and fly across my room straight at my dog. He flew right over my dogs head and landed about a foot away on the side corner of my bed. Thankfully my dog was better trained then him and listened to me when I said, "leave it."

Edit- Forgot to mention you can try sticking one of your female's outside in a screen cage and let her pheromones do the rest of the work. You might be lucky enough to call him back, or another wild male in the area. I know I've heard another member or two having luck catching native males that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was with my boy, unicorn who went by the name Nubs.
:lol: I have to know why the name Nubs???
blink.gif

Latest posts