Terrarium with lots of twigs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Since Idolos have special needs when it comes to gripping surfaces later in life I wanted to prepare a terrarium specifically with this in mind. I've also noticed adult female Violins have trouble gripping screens so I made a roof insert that puts twigs between them and the screen.

I'm using a Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium tank (16" tall x 12" deep x 12" across) that opens in the front, has a screened top and front venting. I already have a natural cork bark background installed but I wanted something more like twigs and lighter in color since I plan on shooting video directly in the tank.

I opted for bamboo mats! I got these at Big Lots for $5 and cut one to the width of the terrarium so I could lay it over top of the cork bark. I only used one for this project so I've got some backup.

bambooplacemats.jpg

I wanted to find an arrangement that would allow me to freely insert or remove horizontal branches within the tank without getting hot glue all over the glass. I was thinking of some kind of framework or grid I could attach twigs to, but that wouldn't block too much light as I often use additional lighting from the side of the tank. I considered chicken wire, but thought that would look crappy.

Hmmm...

I walked through Lowe's brainstorming. Nothing fit my needs. I walked through A.C. Moore and was about to buy a clunky trellis I'd have to cut to the size when I spotted the wood working section.

I ended up buying $5 worth of thin wooden dowels. I used them to build a frame to fit snugly on each side of the tank. I cut the dowels to length and used Elmer's Glue to set the cross beams in place with reinforcements above and below each level.

frame.jpg

After drying overnight I did a test fit, made minor adjustments, then reinforced all the joints with the hot glue gun. I figured Elmer's would break down from the humidity and misting, but it was the cleanest way to get the frame together. Hot glue should seal the deal!

Here is the tank with bamboo placemat backdrop and frame in place.

framedout.jpg

I was sure to measure so as to leave room for the door to open and close without disturbing the frame. The frame ended up fitting so snugly I didn't even need to attach it with glue.

The next step was to make use of some twigs. I bought a bundle of 'Birch Bales' at the gardening store for around $7. They're generally used as embellishment in flower arrangements but seem perfect for little mantis feet to grip. They have a good range of thickness with the ends being very thin. Of course, I washed them really well in case they'd been treated for insects. Better safe than sorry.

BirchBales-1.jpg

The blocky frame looked a little unnatural so I hot glued branches over it. Ended up looking really nice and created a means of vertical mantid movement in addition to the bamboo mat. I then cut and wedged branches horizontally creating multiple levels of perches.

finished.jpg

The best part is I can change it up as needed. For the time being I'll use it for my adult female Ghosts. When they lay an ooth I can just take that branch out and replace it. I love that level of versatility. :)

Her are the girls settling in...

thegirls.jpg

I then made an insert to use for my violin mantids. It allows them to hold the branches or reach through to the screen if they want to. I drew up a template of the measurements of the rim of the tank. I cut 2 bamboo skewers (from MantisPlace.com) to lay over the lip of the rim. They would be what holds the whole assembly in place. I then glued twigs cut to fit within the rim to the bamboo skewers.

roof02.jpg

roof01.jpg

They really seem to like it! And the female who was having difficulty gripping is doing much better now. I'm going to make another for the Idolo tank.

Violins01.jpg

Violins02.jpg

very nice! no copyright you say,well then... :lol: but how much are those Zoo Med Naturalistic tanks? they are sweet!!!

I think the base enclosure should be something other than glass to use as a starting point. I checked the bamboo skewers we have in the kitchen and they are pretty smooth. I have not had any issues with Gongy in a net cage with few sticks. Just some thoughts.

I checked the bamboo skewers we have in the kitchen and they are pretty smooth.
You're missing the point. I'm only using bamboo skewers to anchor my roof assembly. Besides, I use bamboo skewers to handle mantids all the time and they have plenty of woody texture for them to grip. That's why they're sold at MantisPlace. They don't require much texture to get a hold. So long as the wood has no finish you're golden.

What's more, the bamboo mat is made up of individual slats. The mantises can walk up it with no problem. I've seen it with my own eyes. Even if there were no texture they could hook around the slats.

I think the base enclosure should be something other than glass to use as a starting point... I have not had any issues with Gongy in a net cage with few sticks. Just some thoughts.
Personally, I don't like net cages. I'm a stickler for humidity so glass or plastic are my materials of choice. And there is quite a bit of chatter in past forums with European breeders stating that although netting will cause less damage to mantid feet than a metal screen, Idolos will still be more likely to fall from it.

Go HERE and read the advice that was given to you by tier who has successfully bred a generation of Idolos.

And I just don't like the way net cages look. I'm going for aesthetic appeal as much as functionality. I will be shooting footage in this cage so I want a suitable backdrop. The bamboo mat brings to mind Japanese structures seeking harmony with nature. I dig that. :p

I definitely hear your KISS maxim. Most people are content to do whatever works. But some people enjoy the challenge of creating something a little more artistic in nature. And besides, this isn't an Army Corps of Engineers project. It's a mantis enclosure. :D

With a little brain power and effort I've created something unique yet completely functional to my needs. It was a very satisfying experience. Like creating a piece of art.

My masterpiece is complete! Someone call the Guggenheim! ^_^ :phone:

If the shipping wasn't a zillion dollars :blink: you could probably make and sell many of these to people right here at the forum ... A+++

Last edited by a moderator:
When I mentioned the texture of skewers I was actually trying to relate to what I have on hand. Have you kept Idolo? They can barely grip the rough textured bark on the sticks I am keeping them with. Just because something is sold by somebody doesn't mean you have to have it or that it is the best option. I could find many things that are not needed or not the best option, but are being sold for mantids. Don't buy into everything you see for sale. Remember, merchants are just out to make a buck.

You're right. It is a mantis enclosure, but you HAVE turned it into an Army Corps of Engineers project. I feel based on my experience with Idolomantis that you will have issues with them getting a good foothold on it. It looks like the sides are still mostly glass which will pose an issue for both species.

Just because something is sold by somebody doesn't mean you have to have it or that it is the best option. I could find many things that are not needed or not the best option, but are being sold for mantids. Don't buy into everything you see for sale. Remember, merchants are just out to make a buck.
All I did was explain why I did what I did.

You're right about one thing. I haven't raised Idolos before. That's why I'll take the advice of those who have successfully done so. Tier, for instance. Have you bred them? Last I checked you were having all the issues I'm trying to avoid, while ignoring what experienced breeders suggest.

Your words after finding your adult female crumpled on the cage floor:

"I had put in many tiny branches but it looks like she still found a spot on the cage and molted from there."

So tell me again why should I use a net cage?

Glue screen inside of the exposed glass.

Looks good mang.
My Idolos will be raised screen-free, thank you very much.

I may not know much but one thing I do know is mantids do not hang from screens or nets in the wild.

Anyone like to argue that point? :rolleyes:

My Idolos will be raised screen-free, thank you very much.

I may not know much but one thing I do know is mantids do not hang from screens or nets in the wild.

Anyone like to argue that point? :rolleyes:
You have a point there.

Only ones I found in the wild were hanging inverted from sticks.

Edit:

or about to get refueled and ran over.. lol

I do notice that clear walls tend to annoy them a bit but if they are on the sticks they don't notice the clear walls.

These idolos are puzzle to me. I'll be happy to get one to adult.

Six left alive all L2 and L3..

the only ones I have lost so far were all the ones that never recovered from shipping I'm pretty certain. They seem to be OK in my deli cups for now with foam lids and lots of sticks and twice daily misting. It would appear a glass or plastic wall is not a deal breaker.. at this young L2-L3 age at least.

I'm all for people coming up with something new, however we get plenty on here who try to reinvent the wheel when all they're doing is making things harder.

Yes I have had problems with the species. You put my exact words here stating I added the many small twigs as was suggested by someone.

My point was you were advised against using screen and net surface for molting. Yes, you added twigs but you suspect she still found a spot to hang on the net and because of that fell during molt.

So why advise me to use a net cage? Why state that "the base enclosure should be something other than glass"? I don't want them to be able to grip the walls. I want them to grip branches.

I don't know any mantids that have a preference to molt or hang from a vertical surface. All of mine hang from horizontal perches.

I never said that my mantis molted from the net. She molted from the twigs, just too low to the cage floor.

Latest posts