Completely new, have a few questions.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never leave crickets unattended with your mantis. I highly doubt that it is hungry after it took so long to eat the first one. Crickets are notorious for eating mantids that have no interest in eating them. Mantids in the wild will molt on a variety of vegetation. 
took them out this morning. she ate faster this morning than on friday... she is still very young.

Today i had some trouble, i placed the top of an ananas in the tank as a plant to climb onto. But now it has moisture on it so i took it out and she currently has nothing to climb on... i will try to fit the thing i bought for the final terrarium but i dont think it fits...

took them out this morning. she ate faster this morning than on friday... she is still very young.

Today i had some trouble, i placed the top of an ananas in the tank as a plant to climb onto. But now it has moisture on it so i took it out and she currently has nothing to climb on... i will try to fit the thing i bought for the final terrarium but i dont think it fits...
Just put some sticks in ;)

Looks like a 5th instar female. I would wait about five days to feed her again. While she can technically eat more, it is best not to do so. Aim to keep a mantid's abdomen about this level of plumpness. Feed when flatter.

She's very cute! As for the spasms. This happened to my ghost a few days ago. She started twitching very hard and had a hard spasm and fell off my phone into my lap. I have heard that ghosts can act funny when they are scared and drop to the ground. When she spasmed and fell off my hand I just put her back. She seems far more fragile than my H. Venosa so I don't take her out as long. If she has those spasms again just put her back in her cage where she feels most familiar. And I agree with Mantisman, she is almost certainly female! I have two females myself. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the time they start trying to lay ooths! I try to mist them every other day or two but I am so scared they will get egg-bound and die! It's so dry here in so-cal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I counted them in it seems to me that it's a female. I planned to feed her every 2 days but seeing your comments I will wait at least until wednesday and then see how big her belly is.

Tomorrow I should finally be able to get her new terrarium. Now she is in a faunabox with substrate and nothing else. I couldnt fit sticks in it and all stores were closed because it was national day.

A bout the spasm she did it again today, it never happened when i was holding her. Or maybe once but not as much as when she does it in her enclosure. But she didnt do it as much as the other day. Her new terrarium will offer way more climbing and hiding possibilities so she will be less afraid i guess.

Could the spasms be a sign that she wants to molt ?

Mantids spasm on occasion. Nothing to be concerned about. Probably to release extra energy from remaining motionless for hours at a time.

Latest posts