Completely new, have a few questions.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So mesh, like from a craft store, would be best. Just hot glue it or somehow fasten it to the top of whatever container you keep your mantis in. It should give them lots of good area to cling to when they want to take a little mantis nap or molt.

Something with small holes they can cling to easily.
Ok thanks, do you know how they do it in the nature as there are no mesh ? I will put a mesh anyways, im just curious

I never thought about it to be honest! Probably on a branch or stick. Anything sturdy really. The process only takes 20-30 minutes so though they are very vulnerable it isn't for long.

I never thought about it to be honest! Probably on a branch or stick. Anything sturdy really. The process only takes 20-30 minutes so though they are very vulnerable it isn't for long.
Ok, I think they must do it on a stick.

Can't wait, tomorrow is the day i get it. Today I went to the shop and bought exoterra's plantation soil, some moss and grasshopers to feed the mantids. My terrarium didnt arrived yet so i will have to keep it for a few days in a faunabox. It's a big one. I will put some hygienic paper on the ground and some stick. FAK. just noticed i forgot to take sticks at my grandparent's house. I live in the city. Will have to go in the forest or in a park to get some sticks. Really can't wait to have my mantis tomorrow. I will post pictures when my exoterra is setup.

You better take pictures of your new friend tomorrow!
I will probably upload pics when the terrarium is setup. So pics incoming on sunday OR monday. Depends when I get the terrarium. For now they will be in a faunabox, i will put some plantation soil i bought in it and the top of a pineable for her to be able to climb lol. my gf gave me the idea to use the top of a pineapple as i forgot to look for sticks

I received it, it's smaller than i expected, very cute. I dont know which L he is though, I fed him with a small cricket and he ate it, spent about 1h30 to eat it entirely. Now he is in a big faunabox, i did put 2 crickets in case he is hungry, for now he is not moving much and he is spending his time on the top of the tank, upside down. Is it normal behaviour ?

Yeah they love the top of their tank, especially when they're small as they get larger they don't seem to care as much what part of the tank they're in. You can take the crickets out of the bottom of the tank. The movement stresses them out since they are such visual creatures. Feed your mantis again in another 2 days. You may want to mist the tank with water too and again, wait another 2-3 days to spray again.

Yeah they love the top of their tank, especially when they're small as they get larger they don't seem to care as much what part of the tank they're in. You can take the crickets out of the bottom of the tank. The movement stresses them out since they are such visual creatures. Feed your mantis again in another 2 days. You may want to mist the tank with water too and again, wait another 2-3 days to spray again.
Now she is on the pineapple, i tried to take the crickets out but there is still one i can't take out. I didnt mist today because i did the mix for plantation soil yesterday and i put a bit too much water so now it's still really wet. I'm going out now, will maybe mist when i come home or tomorrow. Next feeding will be on sunday

im high as i ll do it tomorrow cause rite now i m afraid tro make it escape sorry im not a good parent, the substrate is still a little bit wet. And she atea cricket and it contain water trust me

i misted it, its fascinating. Is it bad to handle them ? i did put it on my and my gf's hands before going out.

she is nt movin a lot, is it normal ? not drinkin aSWELL

Very normal behavior, Coyote.  They all think they're bats.

Here's Desta, an L7 Taumantis sigiana upside down on the cap of her deli-cup house.  They all insist on being bats.

Desta-bat.JPG

And yes! You can handle them pretty much as often as you want. I like to do it almost every day. Unless they've had a big meal the day before. I try to not disturb them for a day after they've eaten or let them stay out after they eat for a few hours then let them go to sleep. They're very relaxed and sedate after they eat and will often fall asleep after a time. Or maybe not sleep. I don't know if they sleep but they go into a period of rest where they become less aware and still. My H. Venosa will go to sleep right away but my Ghost doesn't sleep nearly as much. Not sure if it's because she's so much smaller or what but yeah. TL;DR You can pretty much take them out all the time! They are very gentle and sweet and the way to get them to go where you want is to gently poke their back knee so they walk. Try not to touch their abdomens as it can spook them and they might run.

OH! And yes it's totally normal for them to sit for hours and hours without moving. Don't EXPECT them to move unless you are making them and you have them out or they are eating. Otherwise they will relax upside down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks for the  answer, mine ate a cricket yesterday, it took her 1h30 so i think it was quite a big meal. I guess that's why she is "sleeping". I left for 2 hours and she is still at the exact same place. Now she is moving a bit. I got it on how to handle them. Tomorrow I will feed her.

Very normal behavior, Coyote.  They all think they're bats.

Here's Desta, an L7 Taumantis sigiana upside down on the cap of her deli-cup house.  They all insist on being bats.

View attachment 8003
Nice one, didnt knew that they liked it so much to be upside down lol it's really funny

I received it, it's smaller than i expected, very cute. I dont know which L he is though, I fed him with a small cricket and he ate it, spent about 1h30 to eat it entirely. Now he is in a big faunabox, i did put 2 crickets in case he is hungry, for now he is not moving much and he is spending his time on the top of the tank, upside down. Is it normal behaviour ?
Yes it is thats what they do most of the day ;)  but if he isnt eating the crickets is better to take them out cause the mantis might wanna molt and cricket could attack it. 

Good luck with your new buddy and much enjoynent!! ;)

Guys i'm really concerned right now. She started moving a bit and her legs are shaking in a weird way, like a spasm..... what should i do ? she is shakign and it looks like she isnt not controling it..

How is she doing now?
I didnt see her shaking again. She spend her time on the "plant" and i just gave her a cricket. She wasnt really agressive to eat it, i shaked it over her head and i let it go and then it fell on her and she started eating. Still eating now so i guess she wont molt soon am i right ?

In 2 days i should finally get the terrarium. I got 2 plants and it will be great to finally see her in her real house.

Never leave crickets unattended with your mantis. I highly doubt that it is hungry after it took so long to eat the first one. Crickets are notorious for eating mantids that have no interest in eating them. Mantids in the wild will molt on a variety of vegetation. 

Latest posts